10.1.4 is better - a happy upgrade

waiting_for_OSX

Registered
Apple is making steady improvements in each release they make for OS X. I do take exception sometimes, to where they focus their development attention. I won't rehash previous criticism.

A simple test to see how Apple has improved the stability of OSX in 10.1.4:
This test assumes you have installed all of the available software updates as of the date of this message.

1. Turn up the sound on your Mac
2. Launch IE
3. goto http://www.apple.com/trailers/ and load any trailer
4. Play a dvd with a lot of dialog and sound with DVDplayer
5. launch IMovie
6. Play the above trailor in IE quicktime
7. Choose "about IMovie" in the IMovie menu

Now you have three video and audio streams playing simultaneously from three different applications.

Now Listen closely. All of the audio streams overlap smoothly: you should be able to clearly hear all three audio sources at the same time.

This is the magic of preemptive multitasking.
You can't do this on OS 9.
Prior to the 10.1.4 release, the lack of stability of all of the above software mentioned, including Aqua, may have caused this test to crash some of these apps. (it did for me, several times ).

If you hear gaps in the sound as it plays that's ok, so long as it doesn't stop completely and crash.

Keep it comming, Apple!

Thanks for that, Waiting, it is really useful to get some specifics rather than the now-ubiqitous "improves overall stability and performance" that seems to be the explanation for each update.

Back