10.2 install problem on wallstreet

frieza

Registered
help me here, I have a 266 MHz powerbook g3 with 256MB Ram a 9.4 GB hd (which is partitioned), a 6gb expantion bay hd, i thought 10.2 was supposed to run on the wallstreets, but when i did a clean install, it gave me the little circle with a lline icon and stopped, then i installed 10.1 and tried upgrading and i'm getting a kernel panic!! what's going on? any help would be appreciated please :)

The "little circle with the line icon" sounds like the normal beginning icon of 10.2. I think 10.2 on a 266 MHz will be painfully slow - but if I'd install it there I won't do it thru 10.1 but a clean install. It will probably be just slow.

How many panics have you had and how often?

panics? every time i reboot since i start upgrading, it never fully booted after the upgrade
as for the little circle with the line through it, i think that's the equivelent of the flashing ? in a disk or the broken system folder icon on some machines

The first partition on your HD must be 8 GB or less, not 9.4 GB. That circle with the line through it means something hardware-related is kaputt, in your case likely the HD.
The normal startup icon is an Apple logo on a gray background for Jaguar, and a little Happy Mac icon for all Mac OSs before that.

snowball is right, as I type, I am on the exact same powerbook that you have, I had to partition the HD to a 8GB partition to get it to work... Took me a little bit to figure that one out... also 10.2 is not painfully slow on this powerbook, infact, it runs better now with 10.2 then it ever did before... Even faster than 9

i tried that, tried putting it on my expansion bay HD (torched my linux partition in the process) now i'm almost afraid to try agian now that i'v reinstalled my linux partition, 10.1 works fine and i do hope to get 10.2 working

Back