10.3 - Folder of aliases in the dock

cinolas

Registered
As an application launcher, in 10.2 (Jaguar), I had made a folder with aliases to my favorite applications and put it in my dock. I could then right-click on the folder and browse through my categories to the desired application to launch it.

After upgrading to 10.3 (Panther) I was surprised to find that when I right-click on my launcher-folder (from the dock) and select an alias it doesn't launch the application anymore! It simply opens up a finder window showing the alias... Actually it does that with any folder that I put in the dock; my document folder, the actual application folder or anything else... I can't seem to be able to do anything else than to show the original file from the dock (can't open a document, can't launch an app, can't open trough an alias)

Is this normal ? Anyway of changing this behavior ?

Thanks

I set up a Panther system yesterday with a folder of aliases for all my clients apps in the dock. He doesn't have a two button mouse, but when doing a click-hold on the folder in the dock a menu pops up with the contents of that folder in it.

Maybe you could try that.

cinolas said:
As an application launcher, in 10.2 (Jaguar), I had made a folder with aliases to my favorite applications and put it in my dock. I could then right-click on the folder and browse through my categories to the desired application to launch it.

After upgrading to 10.3 (Panther) I was surprised to find that when I right-click on my launcher-folder (from the dock) and select an alias it doesn't launch the application anymore! It simply opens up a finder window showing the alias... Actually it does that with any folder that I put in the dock; my document folder, the actual application folder or anything else... I can't seem to be able to do anything else than to show the original file from the dock (can't open a document, can't launch an app, can't open trough an alias)

Is this normal ? Anyway of changing this behavior ?

Thanks

This appears to be a bug in 10.3. If you launch the Activity Monitor utility, double click on the Dock process then click the quit button the dock will restart and the folder alias should work correctly again. It is only a temporary fix until it happens again.

MDA

Make all new aliases and put in a folder and see if they work.

You can drag the Application Folder itself to the Dock and use it that way. Works fine in Panther.

The behavior you describe is meant to occur *only* when holding down the Command key. If it is occurring without the Command Key held down then it could mean the Dock thinks the Command key is held down.

Try control (right) clicking the folder, and while it is visible press and release the Command Key. If the Dock registers the release of the Command Key then it may realize the Command Key is not being held down and return to normal behavior.

Just a theory, but worth a check.

Back