120 gig HD in G3 minitower?

mannyp

Registered
Does anyone know if the G3 minitower will support a 120 gig internal drive? I'm running OS 9. I've been told that it would be better to install an ATA 133 card and then the drive for speed purposes. The primary use will be for daily backups.

Are there any issues that I should be aware of (parititioning, etc.)?

TIA! :)

Yes, you can, but I would second the recommendation to get a PCI ATA host card and attach the drive to that.

If you intend to install OS X on that drive, though, you still need to partition the drive. If you intend to use the drive as a secondary drive and NOT as a boot drive, then you can just format it out to one big partition.

The beige G3s have limitations on OS X where OS X can only be installed within the first 8GB of the drive, so you'd have to format out one 8GB partition making sure it's the FIRST partition, and then format the rest however big it is. Install OS X on that 8GB partition and you should be good to go!

If you attach the drive to the PCI ATA host card, I'm don't think that 8GB limitation exists in that scenario, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the response! :)

As it stands the setup will be OS 9 only, which will live on the original HD, where the new 120 gig drive will house daily backups and possibly serve commonly used files amongst our workgroup.

Back