40G ipod for christmas and nothing but problems

silvergunner

Registered
Well thats not true everything was fine had about 300 hundred songs on it at first. But now nothing. Everytime i booted up it would come up "do you want to register online etc..." and i would cancel that each time as i did not have the purchase date and other info. I would have an ipod icon on my desk top and it was listed on the left hand side in the i-tunes window. I would convert my CD's one at a time then transfer that info for each CD to my ipod, then delete the info out of the library each time as i did not need the info on my hard drive. But then this happened. The register message stopped coming up and everytime i put a new CD on my ipod it would rewrite over everything else. So i lost all my previous collection and end up with just one CD's worth of info on it each time? Now i cannot seem to even transfer anything to it. Each time i drag the highlighted tunes to the ipod icon on the left hand side in i-tunes its not transfering. And i also do not get an ipod icon on my desktop where my hard drive icon is anymore. Any help would be great. Oh and i have the loading dock too.

I am not sure if this is what you are doing. You have to sync the iPod to your iTunes library, at first. Lets take a step back, you have to register and set-up the iPod. Follow the instructions included. Many new iPod comes ready for Windows or Mac. Second, when you drag the songs to the ipod's icon, that is not how to get them on there. Does, a dialogue box show up when you plug in the iPod when iTunes is running?

I have a mac with OSX10.2 the machine itself i cannot remember the name of as its my parents. Its the unit with the flat screen coming out of the hard drive shaped in a dome

Ok got my ipod registered, but reading some of the guides i have from the following books
MAC OS X the missing manual
Teach yourself visually Mac OS X
Mac OS X Jaguar H.O.T by lynda Weinman

They all seem to think you can drag items from the library to the ipod icon in the source list. Which i could do before i registard my ipod. But can i also prevent songs being wiped off my ipod which i no longer keep in the libary when the ipod updates new songs?

silvergunner said:
I would convert my CD's one at a time then transfer that info for each CD to my ipod, then delete the info out of the library each time as i did not need the info on my hard drive.

You can't do this. Your iPod syncs with iTunes. If you delete it from your library then it will be deleted from your iPod when you sync it again. You have to leave the music in your library. The iPod mimicks what you do in your library. Add something it adds to the ipod. Delete something, it deletes it on the ipod.

By default, iTunes is set to update iPod automatically. When you connect iPod to your computer, iTunes updates the iPod music library to match the songs in the iTunes library, transferring new songs to iPod and erasing songs that aren't in the iTunes library.

To transfer music manually, connect iPod to your computer and open iTunes. Select iPod in the iTunes source list and click the Options button. Then select "Manually manage songs and playlists."

Now you can drag individual songs and playlists from iTunes to iPod to transfer them.

You can also set iTunes to automatically update iPod with selected songs or playlists only. This is useful if you only want to update iPod with a portion of your music library.

You can't transfer songs from iPod to iTunes.

This document contains information from Help Center, the help system included with your computer.

So, when you update the iPod when connecting to the iMac, and you have deleted songs from the iMac, the iPod updates automatically to reflect the iTunes Library. Lots of songs deleted for the Library in the iMac, then connecting the iPod will sync to that information, and delete lots of songs.
Changing to the manual setting, as above, should allow you to move songs to the iPod, but not auto-update
It would be easier if you left the iTunes Library with the songs copied to it, and set up playlists, so that only certain playlist will update the iPod.
Read the help that's available on the Imac about using the iPod, there's a lot of good info there.

thanks for all the help guys. I ended up restoring the software on the pod itself and its working fine now. So what ever had happened is now sorted. Cheers

Back