80gb hd

ERICBRIAN2002

Registered
I am planning to install a 80 gb hd in my imac dv 400mhz. The hd is at 5400rpm so will that slow down my mac or speed it up a lil. thanks

Ericbrian - 1st, i have an 80 gb 5400 and a 40 mb 7200. the first thing is that neither speeds up or slows down your machine. anything you do off your main hd will remain the same. Frankly i cannot perceive a diffeence between the two of them in terms of normal file transfers, running programs off of them or anything else i do. I use the 7200 for my swap files.

but my advice to you would be to get a 40 or 60 gb instead. the incerdibly long times involved in searching and maintanence on the 80 are ridiculus. if you keep any systems on it and expect to boot from them, then expect about 4-5 min wait while it finds them. i could go on with these little things that slow your work down, but i hope you get the idea.

also you will find that most 7200's require a fan and most 5400's are fanless.

Even if i partion the hd it will still come up slow? i thoguht it would speed it up not slow it down? i mean its a real good deal at compusa right now?

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
Ericbrian - 1st, i have an 80 gb 5400 and a 40 mb 7200. the first thing is that neither speeds up or slows down your machine. anything you do off your main hd will remain the same. Frankly i cannot perceive a diffeence between the two of them in terms of normal file transfers, running programs off of them or anything else i do. I use the 7200 for my swap files.

but my advice to you would be to get a 40 or 60 gb instead. the incerdibly long times involved in searching and maintanence on the 80 are ridiculus. if you keep any systems on it and expect to boot from them, then expect about 4-5 min wait while it finds them. i could go on with these little things that slow your work down, but i hope you get the idea.

also you will find that most 7200's require a fan and most 5400's are fanless.

Ed, I don't think that an 80 GB HD will do anything to your boot times, as I have one. It's a Maxtor ATA100 80 GB drive, and it boots the same speed as my stock ATA66 drive(10 GB), since it's connected to the internal ATA66 controler in my G4.

I can say that, if you want to do a low level(zero all data) format on an 80 GB drive, like I did once, it will take about 8-10 HOURS!
I don't know why it would take so long to write 80 GB of data, but it does.

And as with all other drives, the more data on your drive, the longer it will take to optimize it, search it etc.

yea, i have a 80gig IBM 7200rpm with a Firewire enclosure. it works well and fast! i put all my backup on it attached with my iBook. the enclosure also comes with a USB 2.0 port (sadly that my Macs won't support 2.0), but i do use it to connect my iMac 350... :p

Ed, I don't think that an 80 GB HD will do anything to your boot times, as I have one. It's a Maxtor ATA100 80 GB drive, and it boots the same speed as my stock ATA66 drive(10 GB), since it's connected to the internal ATA66 controler in my G4.

you are right devonferns. I should have worded that part better. Actuall boot time from it is about equal to the internal HD. What i was referring to is when you use startup disk from system prefs while booted in osx on your interanl. It takes forever for my systems on the 80gb to show up to choose when i need one of them.

also eric, keep in mind it will be a 75gb hd after you are done formatting. I still say that you are better off with a better made smaller drive than a larger "deal" from anywhere. this is just my experience talking.

but i will admit i do not partition my drives and that might make some difference. however my many years of mac use have also taught me there are as many downsides to having partitions as there are to not having them.

I have been looking for web pages that show how to change an imacs hd but i couldnt find any. So can you guys send me a link of how to change a imac's hd with pictures. i had it a long time ago but cant find the link to show how to change it maybe one of ya still have it.

I think this is what you're looking for. I followed these instructions to replace my stock 6-gig HD with a Maxtor 40-Gig, and it was a piece of cake!
:D

80 GB-because you need all that space to hold your warez! lol just kidding

I've taken apart many iMacs. New ones, old ones. (erm well not the G4 iMac, yet) Pretty simple if you ask me. iMac2day didnt work for me. heres how for anyone that needs it in the future.

Take the 2 screws off the top of the shell (bottom, if you place the iMac monitor down), and the 4 inside the little door (open the door with a quarter or flathead screwdriver).
Then take off the 6 screws on the metal cage (theyre around the outer edge of the cage, the other two are in the bottom middle),
Then unscrew the 4 that hold the HD in its place.
Disconnect the power and ATA cords, and remove your HD.
replace with new one, and do the steps backwards.

Back