a more extreme AirPort Extreme?..

octane

I have issues, OK!
These guys think so:

AirPort Extreme Base Station set to become twice as 'Extreme'? Several of our dirt-diggers have turned up interesting recon this week about an update to Apple's core wireless networking product. It could come as soon as WWDC in May, and if these reports prove accurate, would consist of two 54Mbps 802.11g wireless channels whereas today's AEBS has but one.

Similar technology has been employed by popular networking equipment manufacturers who have rolled out dual-channel 802.11g Access Points, but Apple intends to offer a leading solution for this market and to quickly dominate it by making good use of that second channel on the client side -- a problem that most Wintel offerings have been slow to tackle.

Where's that story? Is it one of the forum threads? Can't find it on the page, even did a search on the site.
That said, it was worth the extra bump to go Extreme when I got my G4 a few months ago but it would have to be one helluva improvement to upgrade anytime soon.
That said, anything and everything from MR should be taken with a very large grain of salt.

Wires? What are wires? :D I've had an Airport since I bought my clamshell graphite almost 4 years ago. I was tempted by the G5s but love the portability of a laptop here at home too much.
That said, I have broadband over an Extreme station so it's already pretty speedy. So to plunk down some more $$$ for a Very Extreme station, it would take some eye-catching numbers (and a sedative for my S/O while I placed the order). :p

Yes, My home network is totaly wireless. I want to change my network at work. I have 15 Macs, G4's and G5's. All are on a 100 BaseT Ethernet. Airport Extreme at 54Mbps is too slow for some of the large file we use. But 108Mbps will do just fine!

100 Mbit Ethernet delivers about 90 Mbit in reality.
54 Mbit WiFi delivers about 20 Mbit in reality.
I'm pretty sure that doubling 'the base' will not result in 100 Mbit real-life throughput, so you might want to consider to wait for something like 512 Mbit Wireless (not even rumoured yet, afaik). ;-)

Randman said:
Where's that story? Is it one of the forum threads? Can't find it on the page, even did a search on the site.

Sorry, wrong url. Try it now...

Randman said:
... That said, anything and everything from MR should be taken with a very large grain of salt.

I'm sorry, I thought I was in the Apple News, Rumors & Discussion forum .. oh, I am!

Course it's not entirely reliable, that's why it's a rumor, silly :) :D

When I recently went wireless, I had the option to with Extreme, but for accessing the internet through my G4 [acting as gateway: two AirPort cards in ad hoc mode] Extreme was overkill for broadband.

For me, even graphics file transfers are tolerable with the original AirPort...

Yes, I've been using 802.11b (11 Mbit) for years now, and I don't miss 100 Mbit that much. But then again, my work changed much and I'm finding myself more often transferring data through the internet and less often in my internal network. Faster is always better, but Apple tends to keep within the standards, and those 'doubling' hacks are not an extension of the standard, they're just that: Hacks. I don't see Apple adopting this...

I wanted to go Airport here at the office, but we're already wired at 10/100, which I gather is basically Extreme speed. So there's really nothing to gain in terms of performance, and since we're already wired, there's nothing to gain in terms of convenience. All we could gain is aesthetic, which isn't worth the cost to us. Now 2Xtreme (I just made that up) would be another story. I'd be willing to drop some coin on that.

Actually, I just reread Fryke's notes on Extreme vs. 100 speed, which claims they are not that close after all. For some reason I was under the impressions they were fairly close. Well...anyways, I'm not going totally wireless until it can give me better than my current wired speed. We're starting to get iBooks/Powerbooks here at the office so I'll probably pop for a station just for convenience, but I'll stay wired on the desktops for speed.

mindbend said:
... Anyways, I'm not going totally wireless until it can give me better than my current wired speed...

But you know what's going to happen? The same thing that always happens -- file sizes get bigger, applications get more bandwidth hungry, blah, blah, blah.

Just do it!.. :D

that rocks! (only now i need one to point at my school which has a T1 that is slower than my DSL connection

Sorry, this is waaay off-topic, but this issue has been bugging me for a while and my camel's back just broke, so to speak, with this thread.

[off-topic rant]Octane: Must you write "rumors"? We know you're British, and we know you spell it "rumours" while we spell it "rumors" here in the states... you can write it however it feels naturally, you don't need to "cover all bases," as it seems you're doing.[/off-topic rant]

That dish hack looks really cool... can't see Apple adopting that, either, though. ;)

off-topic, too: but is WEP needed at all if you apply a MAC filter? I know that some cards allow you to change the MAC address (so a hacker could make his/her card 'allowed'), but i wouldn't know how someone would find out which cards are allowed by the WAP.

I've had my WiFi network open for the past two years without a problem. Completely open, I mean. Mostly because I actually WANTED people down on the street to visit the bar I'm promoting, have a coffee and go online. However, they have their own WiFi now and I want the bandwidth to myself. ;-) ... I've created a MAC-list and configured the WAP accordingly. Would I still need WEP for anything?

Arden said:
[off-topic rant]Octane: Must you write "rumors"? We know you're British, and we know you spell it "rumours" while we spell it "rumors" here in the states... you can write it however it feels naturally, you don't need to "cover all bases," as it seems you're doing.[/off-topic rant]

If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out... :D

Found the answer myself. Every computer accessing a WAP is _broadcasting_ its MAC, actually. ;-) So it's quite easy for a hacker to spoof. Well, as I've got only two active computers right now, I'd notice of course, if anyone tried to use one of the two MACs, since when he's using it, my machine(s) wouldn't be able to make a connection.

fryke said:
Found the answer myself. Every computer accessing a WAP is _broadcasting_ its MAC, actually. ;-) So it's quite easy for a hacker to spoof. Well, as I've got only two active computers right now, I'd notice of course, if anyone tried to use one of the two MACs, since when he's using it, my machine(s) wouldn't be able to make a connection.

Come on, Fryke! Share with us the knowledge of setting up a MAC-list?

I'm keen to know...

I dunno about how to do it with Apple's base stations as I'm using a D-Link Wireless Access Point, which has the MAC-list feature in the web-admin tool. But basically, you just enter every WiFi card's MAC address to a list of allowed cards.

Back