A vote of confidence?

Why is is standard protocol for an ex board member? What made him choose to do it now rather than when he left Apple or maybe nine months from now?

How does that show he left in good faith? Would he have exercised his stock options if the current share price was below his options strike price as a sign of good faith? I don't think so. :rolleyes: Wouldn't it more likely show he is looking out for his best interests financially? Perhaps because he has confidence in the company? Not just because "its the right thing to do."

Originally posted by MacLuv
Who's Miss Cleo?

:confused:
Miss Cleo was a crazy pshycic friends network type of lady who turned out to be a fraud. She was often seen on her TV commercials talkin' the Jamaican lingo, mon.

I think she wasn't even from Jamaica! :D

Originally posted by itanium
Wouldn't it more likely show he is looking out for his best interests financially?

Perhaps. But, Old Larry is worth several billion dollars. I doubt 70,000 shares of APPL is going to make much of an impact on his "financial interests."

But, maybe Larry knows something we don't. Well, I'm sure Larry knows something we don't. Whether that's useful information or not is another question.

D'OH, sorry ccuilla, we obviously were posting at the same time... totally!

:)

No problem dude. Worth it just to hear rumors of a new Larry-boy (oops) software venture. Would be interested in hearing more (if there is more). Though, truthfully...the second time around for a lot of these guys is usually a failure. Often the first time was a "right place, right time" kind of thing.

Using that as a segue back to Apple...what is interesting to me is that Steve's second try (NeXT) was a failure and a success of sorts. NeXT was soooo right about soooo many things. Hardware and software wise. We're just beginning to see some of what they were doing. Of course it was a failure business-wise.

Now Steve's third try (Apple-reign II) seems to be going along well. Present circumstances being viewed for what they are...short-term troubles in a deeply troubled technology economy.

I think Steve (and his team) have turned Appled into a completely new company. Some will argue "better" others "worse". The best I gather though, not matter what SOMETHING had to change. To stay as Apple was, was certain doom. Whether they have changed into something that will bring greater revenue and (more importantly) profit growth remains to be seen.

If I were thinking about Apple's short-term prospects (3-9 months)...getting closer to the original topic here...I'd say...well...uhhh...errr...not so great. But longer term, I think they look good. In fact, the tighter Microsoft tightens its grip, the more appealing Apple begins to look in some circles.

But beyond just competition in the computer space, I look to Apple to expand their product portfolio much like they have done with iPod...in new directions. This is wise. Looking at any great, largely successful company, particularly the "blue chip" firms. Sweeping product portfolios. Apple is simply in a position where they need to do this more slowly and carefully right now.

Oh well...babbling on again. Time to get the kids to bed.

If he had complete confidence in the company I'm sure he would have bought more than 70,000 shares of Apple.

Its called a stock option. He can only buy a said amount of shares for a fixed price. I'm guessing he purchased as many shares as he could. Obviously he bought as many as he could for $11.50. I don't know how many he had the option to buy at $13.99.

As far as looking out for "his best interests" financially, this stock purchase was mere pocket change for Mr. Ellison. In fact, considering his personal worth, I'd say this purchase reflects more that Apple is in dire straights right now.

The reason Ellison has billions of dollars is because of sound financial decisions. He doesn't start throwing money away just because he's a billionair now. I love how people just assume that when someone has millions/billions of dollars, money just doesn't mean anything anymore.

If Mr. Ellison had purchased 700,000 shares of Apple, then we might say he had financial faith in the company. Analysts expect Apple to do poorly next quarter.

Analysts expect 90% of the technology market to do poorly next quarter. Apple isn't sinking any faster than anyone else. I'd be more worried about Gateway or HP right now.

i've never known any billionaires that i know of but i have known a few millionaires. and they are almost all tightfisted with a buck. possibly from years of habit, maybe for the thrill of negotiating, i can't say. but i think itanium's assessment of people with excessive amounts of money has held pretty true with the ones i've hung out with.

ok, one of them did have a weird habit of always ripping my tshirt off of me and then giving me one with his business logo on it to wear, but other than that...:rolleyes:

(er, it's not like it sounds :p )

i'd like such a millionaire's friend, though. free shirts sounds fun. just make sure you don't wear any you like when meeting him. ;)

He's going back and essentially deleting all his posts. I think maybe he's protesting the board or something, but I don't follow board politics here anymore.

Back