aim problems

ieldib

Registered
i was using my mac earlier and was running aim fine im'ing a bunch of people so i then decieded to quit aim and mess around with the terminal , i do a cc -v browse the filesystem a little doing a ls and ls -al , then i finally deciede to close the terminal and relaunch aim , so i do it launches , but its gets to the part of the data retrieval on my news ticker right after it loads my buddy list then it just freez's , has this happened to anybody else , i dont think its the 10.1.4 update that caused this because i was using it earlier and it was running fine.

OH SHIT.... this happened to me!!!
That means it's not an AIM problem.. it's an AOL problem?

I was able to use other AIM clients like Adium just fine... even AIM for OS 9... but the OS X version is freezing on me at the news ticker!!! I noticed this on 4/27, at night.

Anyone else???

i think this has something to do with aim for os x only also as my os 9 version works fine, good to see that im not the only one with this problem, i hope aol fixes this soon i tried uninstalling and installing but same problem exists

The sa,e problen exicst on my computer to:( ...i hope they will mae an uppdate to fixe the f*c*i*g problem :)

adium is light doesnt take up that much sys resources but being light it has sacrificed alot of aim features , aim for os x still is the leading aim client that supports all the aim features , buddy icon , file transfer direct im images , e.t.c.

Originally posted by ieldib
adium is light doesnt take up that much sys resources but being light it has sacrificed alot of aim features , aim for os x still is the leading aim client that supports all the aim features , buddy icon , file transfer direct im images , e.t.c.

I understand. File transfer is apparently coming really soon. And stuff like buddy icons I honestly couldn't care less about. But if it means that much to you and you like Adium, have you requested it?

Originally posted by ieldib

AIM for OS X doesn't support Direct IM images
I wonder if it will ever catch up to AIM for OS 9, which has never caught up to AIM for PC. AOL sucks major arse.

If Adium puts in File Transfer I'll delete all other AIM clients

How much do you file transfer? Personally I have a copy of AOL AIM on my 'puter but it hurts me to use it. That is the single most terrible program I have ever used. It's bloated graphically and in code. I keep my screen resolution at 800X600 and that program takes a fourth of it for the same number of buddies shown. The reason I even keep AOL's version is for file transfer and it really isn't that big of a deal to momentarily sign off to get the file. Of course you don't want to send anything important because it isn't encrypted at all.

If you want to be cool, use ssh. Make an account on your computer that you can give the password to a select number of friends (be careful with giving it out to just anybody). Then use scp as directed by the manual. I have found it faster and more importantly, safer.

AOL AIM SUCKS MY LEFT NUT!!!!!!!!!

There's a way to fix the AIM client freeze.

Here's the fix from AOL's Report A Bug page for AIM:

Mac OS X users: There is a conflict with the latest DivX alpha software, which will cause AIM to freeze after signing on. The only known workaround is to uninstall the DivX software or to temporarily remove the DivX components while using AIM.

And it does work, I've done it myself. Of course now I can't watch divx video on quicktime...but I can manage without that.

Thanx alot that helped out bigtime , i guess thats the only fix we can do right now until we , as far ad Adium goes if it supported File Transfer and Direct IM images i would definetely dump every other aim client , and yes ive direct connected with buddies using aim for os x before so it must support it.

Back