Airport and D-Link WEP incompatibility

PhiSolo

Registered
Hello all,

I have been working with the D-Link DI-514 4-port 802.11b routers quite extensively for my employers. I have noticed that they don't seem to work with Apples (using Airport cards) when WEP is turned on.

I subcontract for a Wireless ISP and I want to provide security for their clients, but any clients that use Macs have been unable to connect when 40 bit hex WEP encryption is turned on. Our standard is to use a 10 digit numeric code customized for our users.

I have tested them (DI-514's) on every type of mac available, and have the same connectivity issues.

The problem is that we have a ton of these devices and the big wigs in the corner offices keep ordering more (They are super cheap. Like $15.00 in bulk).

The Mac incompatibility leads to poor security at many client sites, the ISP giving away free services to the client's neighbors, and costing the company $$ because of all the tech support calls. (Phone support seems clueless to the cause of the issue and tries every thing under the sun, except logging into the device and turning WEP off. They also tend to be Mac phobic, which does not help)

Wondering... has any one else has run into this issue? and if so, you have discovered a workaround?

Ernie Dambach

P Book 12" /w 19" Viewsonic LCD second monitor,
Dual 1.25 (MDD) Power Mac,
400Mhz G4 Power Mac,
PB g4 wallstreet,
1st gen 5GB iPod,
2nd gen 20 GB iPod,
1 GB Shuffle,
Grey Airport 1st gen,
Snow Airport 2nd gen
Bluetooth KB/mouse

I think what may be needed is the HEX equivalent of your default or shared key. I know on Linksys and Netgear systems you enter the keyphrase and a HEX key is generated...that key is then entered on each client. If D-Link does not have a HEX generator I'm sure you can find a freeware app online that will do it for you.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Villy

Plus on mac you have to enter a '$' sign before the key to tell the system you are entering the value in hex.

I definitely am not sure, but it seems to me that 128 bit encryption is needed for Macs to work under your circumstances. Take this thought with a huge grain of salt. Use WPA if you are able. As you know, it completely dominates WEP, and Macs love it.

Back