Airport ideal for secure home wireless network?

Oldedit

Registered
I need to set up wireless networks connected to DSL modems in my two homes. Currently using G3 iMacs but likely to upgrade to MacBook Pros soon.

If you were starting from scratch, as I am, what components would you use? Would you consider an electrical network that uses the electric wires in your home? One home is pretty far from neighbors. The other is 20-50 feet. I want to be able to easily move the MacBooks from one network to the other.
tia

Oldedit,

Welcome to MacOSX.com. An Airport Express base station may be just what you need. You will, of course, need an Airport card for each machine. The Airport Express base station is a bit pricey at ~$120, but it offers:

- 802/11g wireless
- print server - hook up USB printer, access it wirelessly
- music server - stream iTunes to stereo plugged into the Airport Express

If you are interested in either of those features, you'll likely be happy with it. I have an Airport Express myself. It allows me to have my printer in a corner (by my Internet access) and the laptop on my desk.

If you aren't interested in music sharing, you can find a less expensive wireless base station, such as the ones from Dlink. I haven't used anything but the AE, so maybe someone else can offer suggestions.

Doug

Doug,

So, say I get AE. I make my computer the base station and DW's a client. Or I make a G4 a base and the laptops clients?

Do I lose speed on the clients vs. the base station computer? Can a G3 iMac serve as the base station?

Thanks.

Don

Back