airport problem...

yokim

Registered
I have a netgear 814 as my wireless router and I have a PowerBook G4 with an airport extreme card. The 814 was set with access control on so only mac address approved computers had access to my wireless network. Suddenly today, I was getting signal but could not surf the net at all. After a while, I couldn't even get on the network. I tried this and that.. and found that I had to deactivate the access control. (I have another computer hard-wired to the router.) With this function "OFF", I could now access the wireless lan and surf the net. Even so, if I go more than 3 feet from the antenna, I couldn't surf the net at all. So, I tried "use interference robustness" option and everything worked fine. So I am now using my wireless network without access control (although I am using WEP enabled).

Can anyone please explain what the heck is going on here? I don't understand why access control suddenly causes such a problem. Also, I don't understand why "use interference robustness" is required from today... Another intertesting thing... It seems I am getting more signal strength with the access control OFF...

thank you in advance,

Is it possible that you've set it to only use 802.11g, rather than 802.11b/g ?

I know that it shoudl still have more range than that, but g has much shorter than b. That may be part of the issue?

in my case i updated the firmware of the netgear router MR814v2
to Version 5.03 Nov 18 2003

i think the problem occured after the last airport update on my powerbook
so look for some new firmware and try it out
wep & access control works fine for me now :)

Back