Anyone with the new tibook 1ghz and superdrive?

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
Or anyone with links to some reviews? Please let me know, since I am just waiting to see that it's no crap and finally buy it...

tnx!

Sam

I picked it up from CompUSA on saturday the 23rd. I had the PB 800 before hand and what I was most looking forward to was the 64MB ATI 9000. It's incredible video performance for ANY laptop, to be sure. I'm sure the 1Ghz plays some part in that too, although about the Superdrive, I don't think it is THE Superdrive. System Profiler says it's a Mitsumi, not a Pioneer, and it will just spit out a DVD-RW, using Toast or not, so I think it's ONLY DVD-R, which is a major pain.

Nosh

Wow Nosh!

CONGRATs!!!!!

So, tell me more about it! Are there any heat-issues? Did you burn any DVD and tried to playback in some other dvd-drives? How long does it take to burn 4,7GB with this drive?
But I expected the tibook to have a dvd-r and not rw. Was I wrong????
So, go ahead. How is everything performing? Can you post some benchmarks?
And what about the fan-noise?
Ok, right now nothing else comes on my mind. But that wasn'T the last post! ;)

I'm probably not the most experienced user to tell you about comparisons, since I've only BEEN a Mac user for four months and this is my second Macintosh, but lets see. Compared to the TiBook 800, the fans are probably three times as loud, and turn on more often, however due to this the keyboard and under-case are much cooler. The top most function keys would become uncomfortably hot on the 800 during a 3D game, since thats where the graphics chip is. But the fans are a clean noise, theres no chopping or wavering or tics in the noise. Although Apple does not officially support DVD-RW, the Superdrive in the desktops can utilize the discs with programs like Toast Titanium or Discribe. The actual Matshita specs on the model number drive (UJ-815) do say it burns DVD-RW at 1x. I only have one DVD-RW to test so It's possible my Verbatim brand disc is incompatible. As far as DVD-R speed and compatibility go, I don't know :) I hadn't wanted to use my only Apple DVD-R that came with it for just testing purposes, hence the purchase of the DVD-RW disc. And Like I said in my first post, the video performance is, to me, tenfold. The two 3D games I play primarily are Jedi Knight 2 and Soldier of Fortune 2, along with a little Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. They all pretty much use the same modified Quake3 engine, and perform similarily under the same settings. With the ATI 7500 (32MB) in the TiBook 800, I ran the games at 640x480 with Geometric Detail set Medium and Texture Detail set Low. In these games, Texture Detail is the great limiter. With the ATI 9000 (64MB) in the TiBook 1gHz, I choose to play at 800x600 with Geometric detail set High, and all OTHER supporting options turned on or set to their highest, though Texture Detail set to high will yield an unplayable frame-rate in very wide open areas. Moving through a narrow corridor though would show you a stunningly high FPS even at full quality. For general use in these games, Texture Quality would be set to Medium. The last thing I noticed is the screen appears to be much brighter, next to the 800. Seems the bulb for the display is a much more intense white. To summarize, there is louder, more often fan noise, there is increase in application performance, but a much more noticible increase in video performance(especially Quartz screen effects), and there may be zero support for DVD-RW, even though the drive's spec supports them.

Nosh

Great article, nosh! ;)

Ok, I have a more or less concret question:
did you ever open a pdf-file having few graphics and tried scrolling? I am reading a lot of pdf-files and when I scrole, it's endlessly slow. My ibook 600 ain't a fast one, but still I am afraid I could face such probs on the tibook 1ghz as well...
and how are games running, when you play on an external screen. It's not about games, but I would like to know, if you discover any speed-issues by using both screens...
And does the battery last as long as the previous models (since you have experiences with the tibook 800...)?

tnx Nosh!

Cheers
Sam

PS.: did you or anyone else have any probs with huge and complex ppt (MS PowerPoint) files? I do some presentations from time to time and having events on mouseclick drives my ibook really mad and everything becomes so sluggish. Hope it would be different on the tibook 1ghz...

Back