AOL Instant Messanger Ad-Remover?

Nope. You should check out 3rd party clones like Adium and Fire, etc. Do a search on Version Tracker, or just wait for iChat in a few months.

BTW: you can log into AIM with your @mac.com address

I need multi-network chat capabilities, and I find Fire to be the best for my needs. You really should check it out.

I've used Fire, Proteus, and Adium... they're all great except none of them support file transfer (which I use a lot).

...anyway, anybody else know anything?

I know there was at one point a patch for an earlier OS X version of AIM, but I haven't seen it in months.

why use file transfer through AIM?
setup a drop box that can be accessed by ftp, afp, or smb. It works so much better!

[and btw, PC users can be given a link like ftp://ftp.domain.com/ and it should launch in IE and give them drag and drop ftp access to your mac]

Not that setting up FTP is incredibly difficult, but it is more of a hassle than using AIM (I've got to create a user, turn FTP on, poke another hole through my firewall--which i don't really want to do)...

Anyway, I don't need to be convinced not to use AOL's client. I have decided to... I just want to know if there's a patch out there. :)

...sounds like there isn't (or at least nobody knows about it).

now i see that it is a classic application, and when i tried to patch aim for osx - 4.5.651...it recognized the application as a folder, and would not let me patch it! how do i do it...this patch is to get rid of banners in aim for osx, right?

Originally posted by spitty27
it recognized the application as a folder, and would not let me patch it!
You did read the instructions didn't you?

:rolleyes:

It boggles the mind how people can miss things like this:
Anyway, the next step of the patch will ask you to locate "AIM Resources". Select AOL Instant Messenger (SM) up and navigate it like a folder to:

Content > Resources > AIM Resources

This is what the patch updates.

Back