Apple browser?

designer

Registered
Hi all,

When apple released Xserve, they used Navigator to demostrate Quicktime streaming.

And I though "If Navagator became as an Apple browser. It will be really good browser for Apple"

I love to see Navigator becomes an Apple main browser. :D

What you guys think?

Peace

Originally posted by designer
Hi all,

When apple released Xserve, they used Navigator to demostrate Quicktime streaming.

And I though "If Navagator became as an Apple browser. It will be really good browser for Apple"

I love to see Navigator becomes an Apple main browser. :D

What you guys think?

Peace
It has a chance and I hope it's true because the developer of Chimera is going away until July so all working is going to be stopped on Chimera.. :(

I think they wanted a browser that would render quickly (with Quartz rendering) so the demo would look snappier.

That's my take on it.

I guess Apple has no *real* interest in having its own browser. The current solution of having so many *good* players competing is actually good for Apple's image. If they bundle too many of their own apps with the OS, they could one day be accused of doing things MS style. Actually, some people already do this because of iChat. Variety and competition is good for the platform and Chimera just isn't *there* yet.

Maybe its Apple's way of starting to give MS the boot out of their system...actually, no its not.

cybergoober hit the nail. everyone knows that IE is the most complete browser for X, however its not exactly speedy. Rendering takes forever ( in contrast to pretty much every browser, with the exception of Netscape ). They just wanted the demo to look quick.

Wired.com's report on the browser speeds of macs might have had something to do with it, but thats pure speculation.

Ok, connect the dots if you want...

First, Apple demos Xserve this week. During it's presentation, the part of the web browser was played by Chimera/Navigator. Obviously, the folks at Apple have become quite enamored with this project and saw it fit enough to use in one of their demos.

Second, since WWDC, Chimera builds have stopped appearing. For the last two months, a new build would be released once a week at least, sometimes with builds coming every other day.

Third, on the Chimera Mailing List, David Hyatt, the principle developer on the project announces that he's "on sabbatical" until July at least, and to not expect any builds for a while. Chimera is an open source project, but strangely enough David says this in his email to the list:

I'm on sabbatical until July 10, and since I'm the only one who can really
do Chimera builds (given the huge patch that exists only in my tree), I
doubt there will be any builds for a couple of months. I also won't be
working on Chimera again until July.

I could post the patch to a bug, but then someone will have to do the
(rather difficult) work of understanding how to merge the patch to the trunk
as changes occur.

So there you have the facts. Now, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but let's just say I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if David's sabbatical takes place on the Apple Campus, with the fruits of the project being an Apple branded browser based on Gecko/Chimera.

Really, if Apple doesn't snatch David up it's their loss. Chimera is the best browser out there (although still incomplete), and with some minimalistic help from Apple, could really do wonders for the web browsing experience on the Mac.

hmm... or not. wouldn't he have to release his 'big patch' as source, considering that mozilla's completely open source? wouldn't apple if they choose chimera, have to make their iWeb (or whatever they'd rename it) open source, too?

maybe apple has an interest in helping him/them make chimera a great browser, maybe apple would even make it standard on Jaguar, but if *I* were Apple, I'd still be kind to the Beast...

I think it would be really cool if Apple worked on OpenSource just so it's there. There is a lot of resentment towards OS X in the opensource community right now because OS X is so new and is taking a lot of the spotlight from projects developed for Linux such as Mozilla and Gimp but not as many of the Mac users are developers so there is no return.

If Apple paid Apple employees to help projects such as OpenOffice.org or Chimera/Mozilla expecting nothing in return except a healthier Unix community then we would have a closer relationship with the OpenSource community.

Right now Microsoft is waging a war against *nix and we need to choose stand up for unix.

But can't you use parts of the open source code in closed source browsers? I'm pretty sure OmniWeb is using some of the open source code for it's javascript implementation from Mozilla, but they're a closed source browser.

I really do hope Apple has finally gotten off their ass and taken it upon themselves to at least **assist** someone in getting a best of breed browser out for their platform.

A few months ago I wouldn't have thought Apple would have been this bold, but look at what they did with iChat. There are several IM programs available for the Mac, and while the three major players all have OS X versions available, Apple still felt it necessary to develop iChat and bundle it with the OS. Surely you can agree that Web browsing is much more essential to the average computer users experience than Instant Messanging is.

And remember, come August, the Microsoft/Apple technology agreement is over. Microsoft still has a vested interest in developing Office, because it is very profitable. But IE, on the other hand, is not. The Mac market is small enough that Microsoft makes no money off of IE (except for whatever Apple might pay them to keep developing it). If I were Apple, I'd be real nervous that someone looking at Microsoft's bottom line would decide to cease IE for Mac development.

I doubt we'll see anything (if this is really what's going on with Apple/Chimera) by the time Jaguar ships, but I'd wager Apple is at least using this as a "backup" plan in place, should IE continue to be seen as a major blight upon the Mac experience.

I thought I saw them using IE in the webcast for the Xserve announcement. Maybe I was wrong.

-Rob

Back