APPLE OSX: an easy but needed improvement

waiting_for_OSX

Registered
I am using

OSX 10.1.3
G4 450Mhz
512MB

When a user chooses to eject a disk, such as a DVD, from a drive, the user is greeted by the "spinning color wheel" and Aqua, the entire user interface, seems to stop responding while the user is forced to wait for this task to finish.

For a new user of OSX this is something that immediately stands out like a sore thumb because this is one of the very first actions a new user performs.

Apple, please properly multithread this operation and don't make the rest of the poor applications wait.

QUICK EXAMPLE:

1. Place a cdrom/dvd in your drive

2. Open a terminal window wide, and type

find / -name "*" -print

3. Press return. As the data scrolls down your screen, press the eject button on your keboard or, choose "eject" from the appropriate memu.

4. Now watch as the scrolling in your terminal window, along with everything else in Aqua, comes to a complete halt until your disk is ejected.

This wrenching halt is unnecessary.

Apple, you can do better.

I agree that the Finder can stand much improvements... Especially in terms of speed. Window resizing and scrolling through a large folder are all painfully slow.

And can we PLEASE use Cocoa instead of Carbon for the Finder?! What is a better place to use "Services"?

-B

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
wait... the finder is Carbon? does that mean we can run the OS X finder in OS 9 ?

Probably not... It's Carbon, but I wouldn't doubt it if it's a Mach-o app. Carbon frontend, UNIX backend.

-B

Yup. It's a bad Finder :(
It is Mach-o also, i'm pretty sure. I think it's quite funny how the Finder handles Aqua. For each contextual menu and toolbar, there is a separate thread, or so I've heard. Oh well, maybe in 10.5 well have a decent Finder :D

yes thats the bad side of the carbon finder. I really wish Apple would make a cocoa finder. IT would be so much nicer. I dont know what it is about cocoa apps but they just feel..... nice.... slick... I can't describe it.

Originally posted by ksuther
Oh well, maybe in 10.5 well have a decent Finder :D

Nah, we won't have to wait that long. I'm sure 10.2 will bring some major Finder improvements, since so many people have sent in complaints.

10.2 wont have a cocoa finder and that is what we should eventually have. But any improvement are welcome :)

OS X really does freeze when you go to eject a CD. It's very annoying--and your timing is amazing. Just today I was thinking, "damn, it's slow to eject the disk and I have to wait and shouldn't have to wait."

So, Apple, if you read this thread, please fix this in the next update? :)

Will

Back