apps unexpectedly quit when print

sdj657

Registered
All my applications unexpedtedly quit when I try to print from them in os x. This occurs on a powermac G4 running 10.2.4 and an iMac G4 running 10.2.3, when trying to print to either an HP deskjet 940c or Epson 777. A soon as I hit command-P the app quits. All apps - acrobat, mail, explorer, safari, photoshop, illustrator. However printing from classic apps is fine. I have the most recent drivers for both printers, and plenty of memory, no new peripherals.

Any ideas what the problem is? The powermac G4 seemed to be affected starting with 10.2.4, but the imac is rarely printed from and I just noticed it.

Do you have Classic ruunning when this happens?
Can you print using the Print command under the File Menu?

Hey Bob-

Does not seem to make a difference whether I do cmd-P or select print from the menu, or try to print with classic running or not. The app always unexptectedly quits.

Another note: this problem also seemed to appear after I ran Norton disk doctor for the first time for X and messed up my drive so badly that I had to erase it and reinstall everything from scratch. I believe I had upgraded to 10.2.4 just prior to that mess and was still able to print. However I don't think I installed anything new - just the same apps I had before.

Also the imac does not have all the graphics-intensive programs that the powermac is running, but maybe there is a common denominator between the two.

Thanks,
Jenn

I just gave Print Center Repair a try, but to no avail. However after that I came across an article in the apple knowledge base that gave a fix which did the trick - I deleted the printers from the print center list and added them again as new ones. Voila!

Thanks for your help, Bob.

(here's the article)

Back