ATA Problems in iBook G4

division

Registered
I have an iBook G4 12" 1 GHz which started crashing with -50 error codes last week, and has giving me heartache ever since. The problem began one night when the computer was running hot. I started getting -50 and -36 errors and was unable to save files in any application (Mail database, iTunes library file, etc.). Following this, the drive would intermittenly mount and couldn't be repaired by drive utilities (Tech Tool, Drive Genius, DiskWarrior, etc). From then on, I had an issue with my internal hard drive performing a dissappearing act on the desktop and System Profiler, and naturally replaced the drive and reinstalled Tiger.

It definitely is not the hard drive or anything software related as replacing the hard drive and reinstalling completely only left me with the same disk problems. I still have an intermittent problem where is the disk might be nonresponsive at bootup, or cannot have files written to it after a while of being on. S.M.A.R.T. status is generally reported as not supported when it shows up in disk utility. It is also not RAM related as I have done several full memtest runs without problems. This seems to be related to the operating temperature of the iBook, as it doesn't happen on a cold bootup.

Interesting, in the System Profiler, I will ALWAYS see two ATA Buses (one for the HD and one for the optical), but sometimes the hard drive will not show up as a device. The optical drive ALWAYS shows up and functions correctly. Aren't they on the same controller? If so, shouldn't I have a problem with my optical drive?

When I run the Apple Hardware Test, I get NO errors on the logic board test. Previously, a tech ran the Apple Service Diagnostic, and received NO errors on any test. I am intermittently getting an error code (2STF/1/4: ATA-100-6-MASTER) on the Mass Storage test of the Apple Hardware Test once the computer reaches operating temperature. Furthermore, I am currently working off a firewire boot disk with NO problems whatsoever so that leads me to believe that my logic board is generally healthy and the problem lies in the ATA world.

Based on the above my questions are as follows:

What's the likelihood that I have a bad ATA cable connecting the drive to the logic board? Is this even possible barring any kind of physical stress by stretching or ripping? Can a hot CPU environment cause a faulty connection?

If I have a bad ATA controller, would it NOT affect the optical drive as well? If not, would I still see two ATA buses at ALL times, even when the hard drive is not appearing?

If I do in fact have a bad ATA controller, wouldn't that show up as an error in the logic board in the Apple Hardware Test?

Please keep in mind, that the computer seems to become susceptible to the problems only once it reaches full operating temperature and not on a cold bootup. What's the likelihood of chips and circuits being more affected by temperature over a cable?

Lastly, if I do have to replace the logic board, can I replace the logic board with a new 1.33 Ghz? I've noticed the motherboard is somewhat different as it has integrated Airport on the board.

Any help or words of wisdom would be greaty appreciated.

What has been the outcome of your problem. I have the exact same problem with my ibook G4 1GHz 12". It works fine from an external Firewire drive but on mine, it even fails to recognise the internal drive sometimes on cold startup. I'm getting really infuriated.

I have had no outcome to the problem with the ATA bus. I have moved my internal 30 GB to a firewire, and used it flawlessly ever since. I have also developed a problem with my trackpad, where it becomes nonresponsive after a while. When this happens, I have to press my palm on the pad to "reset" it.

Its all very annoying, but since I originally bought my iBook on a Mastercard, I have warranty extension (doubling of manufacturer's warranty), and I am in the process of filing a claim. I would much rather have Apple admit there is a problem and fix the defective units rather than deal with all the hassle of this paperwork. At this point, I am just hoping to get a MacBook out of my claim, since all the parts seem to be failing.

Back