Automatically Open Finder Window for USB

Meat Axe

Registered
Hey all.

I've got this problem that I need to try and solve for a client at work. They've got us to design a sort of media player application in Flash that allows the user to select any of their project videos to watch.

Now, the problem. They want this application to be distributed on a USB stick. They also want the application to automatically run when the USB is plugged in. Now, on Windows machines, this is easy enough. My problem is that I have no idea how to do this on a Mac.

I'm aware that Macs don't have the same AutoRun capabilities as Windows does. What I'm wondering, in the absence of being able to run the application automatically, is it possible to have Finder automatically open up a new window to the directory where the app is stored? Or, better yet, is it possible for Finder to automatically open up some sort of customised window (similar to the ones that pop up when you run an installer package), that just provides a shortcut to the application?

Obviously I need the solution to be common across multiple computers (so any solution that involves changing system settings or the like isn't really useful for me).

Is what I'm trying to do even possible? My knowledge is limited on the matter. I'm actually a video editor. Don't ask me why I've been put in charge of doing this, because I'm sort of wondering that myself.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

What are the Mac machines running? It matters because the process changed when 10.6 came out.

To be honest, I'm not even sure the application will be used all that much on Mac, but it's always good to be prepared. Let's just assume that it'll be mostly used on 10.5 for now. If you could explain how to do it in 10.6 as well, though, that'd be fantastic.

... They also want the application to automatically run when the USB is plugged in. Now, on Windows machines, this is easy enough. My problem is that I have no idea how to do this on a Mac.

I'm aware that Macs don't have the same AutoRun capabilities as Windows does. ...
AutoRun is a Windows thing. It is also a huge security hole. MacOS X will automatically launch certain applications like iPhoto when it sees a volume of photographs, iTunes when it sees a CD, or a file synchronization utility when it sees a predesignated volume to be synchronized. There are other examples, but you get the idea.

The only way that I know to get MacOS X to auto launch an application from a removable storage volume is to boot from that removable storage volume. The autorun application replaces the Finder on the removable storage. Prior to MacOS X, this was as simple as creating a bootable disc with your desired app renamed to "Finder" and substituted for the real Finder. With MacOS X, you need an utility like BootCD to create a bootable CD.

Back