Best way for a clean install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan19

Registered
Based on feedback from a couple threads I'd started (here and here), I'm going to backup my files, wipe my hdd, and do a clean install of Panther this weekend. I still need Classic for a couple apps, as well. Logically I'd assume I'd install 9.x first, do the necessary updates to 9.2.2, and then install Panther and update it. Does that sound best, or should I do Panther first and then install 9.x underneath it?

m19

What system do you have? If you have Classic on the install disks, you can just add it at the time, or go in later and use the Software restore disk(s) and put Classic in then.

Randman said:
What system do you have? If you have Classic on the install disks, you can just add it at the time, or go in later and use the Software restore disk(s) and put Classic in then.

I have the 9.1 system discs that came with my G4 and a set of retail Panther discs. I'm not sure if the Panther discs came with Classic; is there any easy way to check?

Thanks for the help :)
m19

The Panther discs don't come with classic. You'll have to install it separately.

Viro said:
The Panther discs don't come with classic. You'll have to install it separately.

Ok, that goes back to my original question then. ;) Should I do 9.x first and then Panther, the other way around, or does it not matter?

Just out of curiosity, what versions of OSX do come with Classic on the disc? Seems strange that some would and some wouldn't, if that's the case.

m19

OS X installations have not yet come with Classic. Only System Restores do contain it. Or maybe, I don't remember exactly, some computer's installation CD2 has an installer for Classic, if the computer can't boot OS 9 standalone.

Either way: You should install Mac OS 9(.1) first, then update it to the latest state. Then, when all that is done, you should install Panther.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back