Best way to backup music in itunes library?

pacifico

Registered
Hi.

I've realized that it is about time to back my music library up. Does anyone know what the best way to do this is? Should I just burn a bunch of CD's or is there an easier, more efficient way? Thanks for any comments.

Depends on what hardware you've got available and how many GB of music you have to backup, really. I back up all my files (regardless of whether they're music or movies or text files or anything) to FW harddrives.

Try backing up *everything*, including your music. Get a beefy firewire hard drive, preferably one that comes with brand-name backup software, and run a full backup. Often.

I would agree. Buy an external firewire or USB 2.0 hard drive and back up more than your iTunes data. I use the Backup software that you can download if you are a .Mac subscriber. If not use other backup software and back up often.

There's no special way to back up your music library. Back it up the same way you back up the rest of your files. If you're burning to CDs or DVDs, Toast 7's disc spanning feature will make things a lot easier.

I do NOT recommend using iTunes to burn CDs as backups. It may seem like the natural route, but it doesn't maintain your directory structure or anything like that. I think it also renames your files (although that might only be if you burn an "mp3 CD" rather than a "data CD"). Basically, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Back