Bill Gates bashes world + dog...

octane

I have issues, OK!
Bill Gates tries the old security through obscurity one-two [not that ol' chestnut again!] while talking up the security of the vapourware that is Longyawn.

Bill, just shut the FUD up!..

In a way the devil himself does have bit of a point. Apple does not have that many virus's for it due to the smaller marketshare. But I wouldnt mind covering him in parifin and watching him lightup for saying windows is the most secure playform. Lamo

Pippin said:
In a way the devil himself does have bit of a point. Apple does not have that many virus's for it due to the smaller marketshare...

It's just not the case though.

If you use that argument, then why don't you see Apache being laid bare to world by cracks, hacks and virus attacks? It's a huge platform.

The reason: Apache was built right in the first place and Microsoft Windows wasn't .. and for that matter, won't be.

Pippin said:
But I wouldnt mind covering him in parifin and watching him lightup for saying windows is the most secure playform. Lamo

Now, you see what you did there?

One minute we're having an agreeable discourse, and then you go all serial killer on me.

Not good!..

Right, he's blaming problems on not enough people using Auto Update in Windows? What good would it do anyway... most of their virus patches come out after the damage has been done. Most companies won't even install a patch until it's 100% proven to not screw anything up, which isn't the case usually.

While Apple may be safer because it's not attacked as much, I would expect Linux and UNIX to be just as open to attack as Windows seeing as how they are so widely used for major servers all over the world. You don't hear much about some new UNIX virus taking out companies networks do you? No, it's some person that checks an email in Windows that brings down the entire office network and spreads it elsewhere. Maybe it would be helpfull if IE/Win didn't have the "feature" of letting websites install programs without your knowledge. :)

Either way, it's nice to see that he blames the users for Window's security problems. Between comments like these, that MikeRoweSoft ordeal, a new Windows virus this week, I wonder if people will stop buying into their BS.

brianleahy said:
world + dog?

Did I miss the dog part?

Or are you tweaking the old expression "everybody and his dog" ?

That's the one.

It's an old English turn of phrase, like; everything but the kitchen sink.

Stick around, you might learn something!..

Bill Gates is simply justifying Microsoft's current course of action instead of taking steps to repair the damage before it can be done. As has always been, and will be until the end of days, I predict.

It's classic fear, uncertainty & doubt.

The same malicious, misleading crap they used to churn out in the mid to late 90's.

It's interesting to see Microsoft's 'the facts' campaign against Linux which concentrates on just a few areas where the contrast of price point is the most striking.

What is most significant, and most conspicuous by its absence is any reference to stability, security, reliability, actual figures on system up-time et cetera.

The 'fact' is, most people will pay more if they know they're getting increased reliability which in turn means increased productivity.

Let's face it, guys, when Microsoft react like this, it's a clear indication of how truly rattled they are.

Be as flattered as they are rattled .. quite a lot.

Note to Mr. Gates: your grasp on reality is on a bus, that bus is now leaving town...

Back