broadband/network measures

case

Registered
Hi all!

my partner and i are about to go on to broadband from dialup.

we will be networking or 2 macs together (using a netgear DG834 router/firewall/asdl modem).

We are very new to this stuff and would like to know what security measures we should take, considering that broadband is an always on service. Are there "rule of thumbs" we should adhere to? Are there measures that OSX users should take even though there is a reduced threat on the mac compared to windows?

We both have nortons firewall 3 installed even though the DG834 has one (which i think you configure on a online interface - are these likely to conflict with each other). And seeing that we are (or will be) networked together can we implement different conditions on our machines independently - i.e will the opening/closing of a port on my partners machine affect mine e.t.c

simpler the better please as we are on the first step on the ladder of knowledge concerning networking and broadband

all (valid) help most appreciated

thanx all

The router has its own firewall built-in. These usually prevent outside connections to your machines unless you open a specific port (such as for web servers, etc). There's really no need to run additional firewall software on your machine (especially if you're using Mac OS X). If you were running Windows machines, then the addition of a software firewall will help block spyware and viruses from "calling home" or infecting other machines on a network.

The first step with a router is that you change the default password to access it's setup and don't turn on anything that allows remote administration of the router from the Internet. Most times the default password is admin or left blank, this is especially bad if you have a wireless router.

Otherwise, there isn't much else you need to worry about. Antivirus software is always a good idea, though not absolutely necessary on OS X (yet).

Hi all

Just an extension of a previous thread.

My partner and i are about to go on to broadband from dialup. We will be networking or 2 macs together (using a netgear DG834 router/firewall/asdl modem).

My computer is the first in the chain, will it have an effect on my computers performance. i.e will my computer be slower?, will hers?

Back