Burn a multi-session CD and/or DVD?

compton

Registered
How can I burn a multi-session CD and/or DVD in OS X?

At one point in time I knew how to do this in OS 9, but can not find a way in OS X? Basically a multi-session disc is many disc images burned onto on disc. So when the CD or DVD is inserted, three (or however many disc images or sessions) CD/DVD icons will popup.

If anyone could provide some insight into this it would be much appreciated. Perhaps I need Toast?

Thanx.

Toast will do this easily. You simply insert your disc, arrange your files as you want them, push Record, and select your speed and whether to use buffer underrun prevention (I always leave this checked; it's a good idea to do so if it's available with your burner). Then push "Write Session," which should be the default button (as in the one that throbs in OS X, or with the border in OS 9).

I don't think there is native support for multiple sessions with OS X alone, with Disc Burner. You have to use Toast or another burning utility. Toast Lite is really hard to find, so either get it from a friend or pony up for Toast Titanium.

You can do this in Disk Copy - Go to Burn Image and then choose the disk image you want to burn. When the burn window pops up and asks you to insert a disk, click the little triangle to get the rest of the options. The "allow additional burns" lets you make multi-session CDs.

Or, if you prefer, you can get a utility to do it - I use yuBurner. It's free, and simple, and lets you do multisession burns as well as burning in other formats (ie. Windows (joliet) or ISO9960)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. You can't make multiple sessions with Disc Burner, but you can do it with Disk Copy. Thanks, fish.

DVD's don't do multiple sessions, according to Roxio.

Another solution for sessions on CDs is CD Session burner from James Sentman (www.sentman.com). It's not free but it's cheap and professionally done.

They don't? Wow, I'd have more hope for multi-session DVD's because you can store so much on them... although I think they write differently than CD-R/RW's, so you can rewrite without having to erase everything.

That would so waste a DVD-R to burn a 1 MB site onto it to transfer to another computer.

Back