buttons not working

bamakodaker

Registered
Hello,

In my PowerBook G4, model 1106, I have buttons that don't always work. M, J, U, 7 and sometimes my Delete button. Sometimes I get the buttons to work by just going to a different field while typing. Other times, like here, I have no problem typing. Sometimes while having this problem it appears that when I press the area between the Space Bar and the TracPad, the problem goes away.

This Mac has not had any IT check in a couple of years. It's my daily work use computer. I have 19.4 GB available. Hmmm, U just quit, then a little press to that area and it's typing fine again. I do mean little press. I'm not pounding on it. I'm not moving anything else. I accidently discovered this way to temporarily stop this problem. Sometimes I do have to press several times to get around this problem.

What can I do about this problem? Is this a dirt problem where there needs to be some cleaning? Does the keyboard or a cable need to be replaced?

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

bamakodaker

IMHO: You have your keyboard ribbon connector somewhat loose. I believe your keyboard is easily removable. Look for two very small white screws ablve the top row of keys. Turn a quarter turn with a small flat screwdriver and the whole keyboard will lift out. From there you will be able to see and reseat the ribbon connector.

iFixIt and others have videos if you need to see the procedure.

If bamakodaker has the model 1106 PowerBook, then it's an aluminum keyboard, 1.5 or 1.67 GHz 15-inch model, and the 'very small white screws' are not part of the take-apart for the top case. Most definitely not a simple lift out keyboard - The keyboard is part of the top case, and requires removing that top case to get to the keyboard connector. iFixit certainly has helpful instructions and videos to help getting that top case off. You can then check the wide ribbon cable to see if that's seated properly.
I think that your keys that are flaky are in the same (more or less) vertical row, which usually indicates faulty encoding on the keyboard. If reseating the ribbon cable does not help, then the keyboard would need to be replaced. Once you have the top case removed, the keyboard is held in place by about a dozen of the smallest screws I've ever seen around computers.

Back