Cable modem connection issue...

jamescivello

Registered
ok.. here's was the nightmare. I have comcast cable and a linksys router that have happily been serving us for a few years, with the occasional need for a powercycling of the modem and router when my wife connects with her pc work laptop and goes into her work intranet which i'm sure uses a static ip address. Anyway, by accident I unplugged the strip outlet from the wall disconnecting the router and the modem, and that evening she was unable to connect. In the A.M. she was able to conect via the modem with no router, but my g4 powerbook was not. Whenever I tried to connect via DHCP, I kept seeing an ip address resembling a router address, even though no router was attached. Network status showed an active ethernet connect but unable to connect because of the static ip. address. One new modem, a few ethernet cable switches, a few hours with comcast techs, and finally was able to get a home pc running Windows NT to connect, but not the powerbook. Finally loaded Tiger with a clean install..still no connect. Took the powerbook to local Apple dealer, plugged in to their network...Safari boots no problem. Get home, still no connection. Finally before I blow my brains out, I get the idea to reconnect the router, but to boot up the NT based PC FIRST and get a connection, have the powerbook plugged into the next router port, and boot it second. Bingo. Now, like many of these issues, it's great that I have a result, but not a clear solution as to why my mac or the ethernet card, or the modem maybe,
was holding onto that damn ip address and wouldn't release it and go DHCP. If this happens again I will get my abacus from the attic and tie a string to two tincans... Any thoughts? Thanx!!!

May you weren't holding your tongue right.
(just kidding)

Some unanswered questions:

"...by accident I unplugged the strip outlet from the wall disconnecting the router and the modem, and that evening she was unable to connect. In the A.M. she was able to conect via the modem (cable modem right?) with no router, but my g4 powerbook was not. (because her machine was connected to the cable modem and you were not, right?)Whenever I tried to connect via DHCP (do you mean that you set your Mac to obtain an IP via DHCP), I kept seeing an ip address resembling a router address, even though no router was attached. Network status showed an active ethernet connect but unable to connect because of the static ip. address(At this point I'm thinking that you are connected to your cable modem with the wrong IP address. So did you click the Renew DHCP Lease button in the Network setup on your Mac? ). One new modem, a few ethernet cable switches, a few hours with comcast techs, and finally was able to get a home pc running Windows NT to connect, but not the powerbook. Finally loaded Tiger with a clean install..still no connect. Took the powerbook to local Apple dealer, plugged in to their network...Safari boots no problem. Get home, still no connection. (Did you click the Renew DHCP Lease button in the Network setup on your Mac?) Finally before I blow my brains out, I get the idea to reconnect the router, but to boot up the NT based PC FIRST and get a connection, have the powerbook plugged into the next router port, and boot it second. (Perhaps maybe your Mac already had the same subnet configuration from your local Apple dealer.)Bingo. Now, like many of these issues, it's great that I have a result, but not a clear solution as to why my mac or the ethernet card, or the modem maybe,
was holding onto that damn ip address and wouldn't release it and go DHCP (Did you ever click the Renew DHCP Lease button?). If this happens again I will get my abacus from the attic and tie a string to two tincans... (That may not be a bad idea. -Just kidding.) Any thoughts? Thanx!!!

That's good to hear that all is well now.

hastalaVista!

Back