Camcorder with Firewire: Mini DV vs. HD

handwrote

Registered
I have problem connecting my camcorder (a mini DVD-based Sony DCR-608E) with I-Mac 20". Based on the many threads I've been reading, I guess it's best for me to get a new camcorder.

Am currently considering to buy a camcorder with a firewire port but haven't decided between Mini-DV based or HD. My main consideration is the image quality and cost effiency.

Anybody using i-Movie has any recommendation? Should I go for Mini-DV or HD? What are the upsides/downsides?

Quick help please... My son's birthday is coming up this Saturday. I wanted to buy the camcorder before that. Thx.

My main consideration is the image quality and cost effiency.

In that case, Mini-DV tape wins hands down. Firstly, Mini-DV is an uncompressed format while HDD based camcorders use MPEG compression in-camera. Secondly, Mini-DV is cheaper.

Yes, it is theoretically quicker and more convenient to use a HDD based camcorder, but in real-world use the difference between importing a DV stream to iMovie or importing MPEG files is not that big of a deal.

That said, read the reviews. There are some great quality bargain Mini-DV cameras around, and some that are sub-par. Brand alone won't help you decide on this one.

Back