Cannot copy in 10.2.1???

DGNMRWRW

Registered
I just helped a classmate upgrade her G4 from 9.2.2 to 10.2.1 yesterday. We backed up everything to CDs, then I partitioned her drive to give her a separate partition for class files, music, etc; and one partition for OSX.

Install went flawlessly and relatively quickly, and then she used software update to go from 10.2 to 10.2.1. She then tried to begin moving all her old files back over, and this happened....

Whenever she tries to copy more than one file (or folder) at a time, she gets an error type -128 and is told that she cannot do it. And sometimes even when she doesn't get the error, only part of what she selected even copies. With gigs upon gigs of mp3s and the thousands of font files we have, there is no way she can copy each file individually, which is what she has resorted to.

I did the same install on my G4 and iMac, and have never encountered this. Anyone know what's going on?

I have heard that there is a maximum copy size limit (yeah, aka, a bug) in OSX. Copying more than 500MB - 1Gb (I think it's more along the lines of 1Gb) can fail. Since that likely mean just moving your friends MP3 collection only a few complete albulms at a time (ie: 200-300Mb) instead of gigabytes at a time, I think this will prove to be an easy way around the problem.

OK, here's an update:

She has 384 MB RAM, which should be sufficient as far as I'm concerned. Also, had her copy some font files that were several folders deep, but with a total size of around 16 MB, and it wouldn't do it.

Not sure what to do now....

Try checking the crash logs in system profiler. After doing a fresh 10.2 install and upgrading to 10.2.1 I experienced some similar finder wierdness. My crash logs listed "Install Mac OS X.crash.log" The install apparently crashed but still completed? I simply re-ran the 10.2.1 updater and the problem was fix.

Not sure if your having the same problem, but might be worth checking out.

would the crash log be located under the 'logs' tab in the system profiler? if so, she doesn't have any listed.

OK, I had her boot into OS 9 to install her ATM Deluxe. She then tried to copy the files again, to see if it would posibly work in OS 9,... and it did. No problems whatsoever (so far... there's still a lot to transfer).

So this is a problem that's only happening with X. Any suggestions?

I had problems copying stuff because the filenames had ? in them. I also had problems with apostophes '.

Still not working. I guess she will copy in OS9, which is annoying but it will do. Wish this were fixable....

Try this - - Boot up to the Jaguar install CD, At the start window, go to the installer menu and choose Disk Utility, Go to the First Aid tab, click on each volume on your drive and then click Repair Disk button, when all volumes are repaired, choose your OS X volume and click on Repair Disk Permissions. each volume repair takes about a half minute. permissions repair will probably take about a half hour. exit from install CD, reboot to OS X in single user mode (HOLD apple-S during restart) you should see a screen full of text, bottom line says how to run FSCK, follow the directions, If repairs are made, run same FSCK again, until no repairs are made, follow other text line intructions, then type exit. system will boot on up. At the Finder, Do a full restart. Then, try more copying, at least to test for improvement???? Hope that helps (who knows what that -128 error means?):cool:

Back