Cannot open URL from mail

cxcheng

Registered
When I click on a URL using the default OS X mail client, it tries to bring up classic version of IE. However, the OS X version of IE is already running. The classic version of IE detects that and quits automatically without opening the URL. This started happening after I've accidentally moved the OS X IE's icon to a different folder other than 'Application'. Is this something to do with launching of helper application from the mail client?

more likely it has to do with your selection of default browser. go to system preferences/internet/web/default web browser and use the select feature to choose the browser you would like to use.

boy i'm glad i helped you with this - i don't know how but ie somehow got set to being my default. I hate ie and would never choose it on my own!!

hope this helps :)

Yup, indeed that's the case. For some reason, it thinks 'Internet Explorer' is the classic version and I just pointed it to the new file.
IE on the Mac still sucks compared to the Windows version even though it has some interesting features. But nonetheless, the other browsers aren't any better either.

glad that was all it was. :)

i won't bore you with the details here, but if you search the site a little you will find lots of info on the newer browsers and why i don't use netrape or exploiter any more than i have to.

Back