Can't boot BW G3 from panther cd

useMac

Registered
Hello.

I used osx jaguar 2.8 and wanted to upgrade to Panther. I put the cd in the cd-rom and doubleclicked the "install macosx" thing. The computer tries to restart and when the grey screen shows up the computer stops thinking.. All I can do at that point is to boot from my harddrive.
My friend has a BW G3 too with the same setup and it works just fine for him. Can anyone help me?

I have two BW g3s and one of them worked fine with the panther cds and the other one i am having troubles with see specific os cds (but some other current problems with it are MUCH worse) and i have an imac that i recently obtained that i could get to boot from 9 and X.0 cds. did not try the X.1 cd. it saw the X.2 cd but choked on the reading packages part of the install. it would not see the X.3 cds at all. it saw the X server v1.0 cds and installed fine. if i find out more i will let you know.

thanks!

but for me the problem is not to read the CD's. I can choose the disc as startup disk, but it freezes on startup..

Unplug all your extra equipment like speakers, scanner, hub. Now give it a try.

useMac - I had no issues with my B&W G3 and the Panther installation.

It helped in my case to have a rev. 2 B&W machine, and I took the precaution of swapping back in an official "Apple" ATI Rage 128 video card as originally supplied.

And as Cheryl points out, you should also be sure to unplug any peripherals from the USB and Firewire400 ports.

Bottom-line: take it back to a dead stock configuration, and then give the Panther install another try. Good Luck !!!
;)

Back