Can't find G5 on network (10.4.7)

cydeout

Registered
I have a dual 2.5 G5. Recently, I've been unable to locate it on my LAN. I have AppleTalk set to on, Personal File Sharing On, and firewalls are all off. One day, I was simply not able to see it when clicking on the Network icon. I can't even connect to the share manually (i.e., afp://192.168.1.100). I've tried manually using AFP and SMB; neither work. My PowerBook acts like it's trying to communicate with the G5, but ultimately it gives an error message that says it's unable to find the share.

I have a network RAID on my LAN. Both the PowerBook and G5 have no problems connecting to it. Anyone have any ideas why the G5 suddenly disappeared off my LAN? Thanks in advance.

Anything else in your network change recently?
(Appletalk doesn't matter - Tiger doesn't use appletalk for file sharing)

Type this command in the Terminal and paste the output back:
ifconfig en0
(that's E-N-zero)

Here's the output:
--------
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::20d:93ff:fe2c:c744%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 192.168.1.244 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
ether 00:0d:93:2c:c7:44
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control,hw-loopback>
---------

I'm starting to wonder if the G5's ethenet card is toast. When I'm downloaded large files through Safari, Firefox, or IE, it will stop the transfer after a while due to "no internet connection". I can type in an URL and it will load without problem though. My PowerBook's not giving me this error either.

Is there a preference or setting somewhere I can check for? A system file that I can delete that OS X will rebuild? It's like the G5's ethernet just wants to time out after a while. I tried all sorts of settings on two routers and nothing seems to help this timeout issue on the G5.

That output looks normal - and OS X is picky about ethernet.
Try this in Terminal a few times and see if you see any irregularity:
ping IP_adress_of_other_computer (Substitute a real IP address - would it be 192.168.1.100?)
stop the endless repeat with Control-c.

I haven't seen built-in ethernet fail in quite a while - I'm not sure what to look for, either...

It's definitely something wrong with my G5. I tried all various combinations of routers and cables. It's always only the G5 that stops downloading after a while. The time various as to when it actually drops from the network.

The weird thing is when I plug the G5 directly into my DSL modem, it seems to be working fine. My PowerBook and NAS are both plugged into my router, but they don't have any network problems.

I tried to look up if it's possible to replace the ethernet card in my G5. It's a dual 2.5 GHz G5 made in June 2004. It was the first model of its kind. I couldn't find much information on Google. I think I read that the ethernet hardware is on the motherboard. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Will it be possible to buy an aftermarket PCI card and just use that instead? Anyone have any suggestions to a brand/model?

Thanks.

Back