Can't get rid of item on deck top

Stellor

Registered
G5 Dual PPC OS X 10.3.9
I-Tunes started acting funny, a few songs would seem to play for the correct time but with no sound and it would place a (!) next to the song, most of them seemed to be by David Bowie so I went to the Bowie play list, clicked and tried to drag it to the trash, when it got to the desk top it landed there, just the name David Bowie, no document or folder icon. Whenever I click on this name my computer freezes for what appears to be the time of the song but I can't move the name, when I-Tunes places the (!) next to a song as long as I wait for it to go to the next song and I click on just the (!) I can trash that song. I've repaired permissions, and tried First Aid from the startup disk, Onyx seems to run everythng accept empty the trash, then it just stops with no message to restart. As long as I stay away from that spot on the desktop grid everything works.
Timeing is everything, I was planning on up grading to OS X 10.5 any way, now I have a copy of OS X 10.5, but can I install it with the existing problem? If I can install it with this problem unresolved will the problem appear in OS X 10.5, should I do a clean install or should I or can I erase the disc and start fresh.
Thanks for any help.
Sam

Back