Can't mount USB drives, CDs, .dmg disc image files or run drive related software.

silverknight

Registered
After doing some housekeeping the other day (deleting old docs, removing unwanted apps, etc.) I can no longer mount a CD, any USB Flash drives or any .dmg disc image files.

- When I try to run Toast it bounces once in the dock and dies.
- The Disc Utility app starts but crashes while "Gathering Disc Information".
- Cocktail will run but when I select "Drives" it hangs with a spinning wheel at "Gathering Disc Information".
- MacJanitor runs fine.
- Onyx appears to start (sits in the dock) but no windows open nor does the app name appear at the top left.
- System Profiler runs fine except when I select "ATA", it just hangs with a spinning wheel.
- When I try to mount a disc image I get an error "The disk image failed to mount - no mountable file systems". But when I try to delete the .dmg file it says it's in use.
- Other input/output devices apps (e.g. printer, scanner, speakers) work but my camera doesn't.

The console log says...
"dyld: /Applications/Utilities/Extras/Bluetooth/OBEXAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/OBEXAgent can't open library: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleArchiver.framework/Versions/A/AppleArchiver (No such file or directory, errno = 2)"

and the system log says (many times for the different apps)...
"localhost /Applications/Utilities/System Profiler.app/Contents/MacOS/System Profiler: InitializeDiskArbitrationMessages: DiskArbitrationRegister failed: 1102".

The CrashReporter pppd.crash.log says...
"Link (dyld) error:
dyld: pppd can't open library: /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)"

When I startup in OS 9 everything works fine but obviously I can't mount .dmg files. I'm usually careful about what I delete but somehow I must have deleted something important. I know, I know I should have left the housekeeping to around the house but I don't do that very well either!

I'm not sure if it's related (but I suspect so) but when I try to dial up with Internet Connect I get "The connection was terminated by the remote site. Please try again." immediately. I usually connect to the net by Ethernet via a PC.

My Mac is a G4 Quicksilver, 733MHz, 896MB, 40GB, CD-RW, OS X 10.3.9 (OS 9.2.1).

In case it helps I also have an original Bondi Blue iMac, 233Mhz, 64MB, 4GB, CD-ROM, OS X 10.1.5 (and they said it wouldn't work!) & OS 9.2.1. In addition, I have a Dell Dimension 5000, 2.8GHz, 512MB, 160GB, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, Win XP Service Pack 2.

I hope someone can help and I've provided enough info to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance.

you can try to boot from your installation disk, and run disk utility from there... give it a try, and see if it helps...
but it seems that your system is really messed up, so I'd go with anarchive and install... it will keep your files and preferences...

Back