Can't seem to load Netscape 6 anymore

LeeB

Registered
Hi, For some reason my Netscape 6 (and Mozilla for that matter) have both stopped loading. They get to their splash screen and then just hang.
I've deleted them from my hard drive, downloaded and reinstalled them but the same thing happens.

I'm something of a Mac newbie, so any hints or advice would be gladly welcome.

(perhaps i should add that I do actually need to be able to use these programs as I'm a web developer, otherwise i wouldn't give two figs about Netscape 6) ;)

You'll want to delete the hidden .mozilla folder in your home directory if there is one there. It contains the lock file that prevents mozilla from starting multiple copies of itself in a network/unix set-up, though it can cause trouble if your mozilla/netscape crashes.

In a terminal, type ls -la and look for folders named .mozilla or .netscape. If there is one there, delete it by typing rm -rf .mozilla

(Take note of the dot at the start of the filename, which defines it as a unix-hidden file)

Thanks for the quick response symphonix, however I don't seem to have a .mozilla folder in my home directory, there were a number of .folders there but not a .mozilla one. :(

Back