CD-ROM Problem on a PowerComputing Clone

HECTORdaBIZATCH

Registered
Hey everyone-- I've just taken an old PowerComputer PowerBase 180 and added a second hard drive, some more ram, and a faster cd-rom drive.

Everything works well (except the cd-rom)... It is the drive that shipped with my G4 533 (I believe 24x). I figured I might have problems putting the thing into the old clone, but I went ahead to see what would happen... If you put a cd in before the computer starts up, everything works great... (it mounts, you can use the cd, etc.) But if you eject the cd, you cannot get the tray to go back in. It just pulls back for a second and pops back out. If you start up without a cd in, it opens the tray while it's loading and when you shutdown, the thing closes.

So does anybody know how I could get this drive to work with my clone? I would really love to have a newer one so that I don't have to go back to the crappy slow cd-rom drive that was in this computer before.

Any help someone can give would be great. :)

You didn't say what MacOS is running on the PowerBase. Problem sounds like a driver issue. Your drive might be too new for the OS. I used to have a modified CDROM driver to use with a non-Apple cdrom that I had a 4 or 5 years ago. You should be able to upgrade to OS 9.1, that should take care of a driver issue. If not, then logic board might not like the drive. Then an added PCI ATA drive card might do the trick

Back