CDRW doesnt boot cd during startup

makus

Registered
I , ( beige desktop G3/266 575mbRam Os 9.2.2) bought me a new CDRW.
Cendyne Lightning III 40x12x48. It was recognised by Toast and I burn, read and listen to Music CD's.
Now I want to start up with a bootable CD like Norton.
It doesn't react. I dont know anything about Firmware. I searched and I couldn't find anything. What do I need? Please helpme...

Thank you

Makus

Please forgive me if I'm starting waaay too basic here, but. . .

did you hold down C as you were powering up your computer?

And the other way: Did you try selecting the Norton CD from the Startup Disk control panel?

I'm unfortunately a bit ignorant about the beige G3s. How did you boot from CDs with your old CD drive?

Doug

Markus,
are you sure that your cd-rw are able to boot from a cd?

I might be wrong but I don't think all cd drives can boot up from a cd.

I use a PowerBook G3 and I know that you can buy cd-rw and dvd drives to put in the drive bay and ony a few of them ar bootable.

Viktor

Well, yesterday I tried the iMac Firmware for the cd. First it sad it doesn't want to install anything. But than the tray opend and closed twice. Since than I can boot the Norton CD. Some other CD's still don't want to boot.
Makus

If these cd's are made by you, there is a specific way to burn a CD to make sure it is bootable. Check Toast's manual. I have it marked and sitting next to my burner at work.

Second, if it is an external CD-RW and a USB, I do not think you can boot from it. Firewire is a different story. You need to insert the CD, then go to the Startup drive panel and select it from there, then select restart.

it is an internal cdrw.
it starts up now with pressing the c key and norton
but not with the control panel settings.
when i do this and try to startup it makes some sounds but not like spinning
and stays quiet. i have to preset the pram to get the mac running again.
System is 9.2.2, so i have the latest startup disk software. i think it is an thing with the burner.

just a suggestion.... I recently did the same thing you did (i mean buying a CDRW) and I too have a beige G3
I had the same problem that was solved when I hooked the CDRW to the first connector of the IDE cable and switching it to be master in the IDE chain.
try changing configurations on both IDE ports.

I have heard the same thing about the "master" and "slave" issue with hard drives, maybe that applies to cd drives too. Could be you can only boot up with the "master" drive and if you make them both the "master" it confuses your mac and makes you zap the pram. Just thinking out loud here.

Cheers

Back