Classic will not start in OSX Tiger

homelink

Registered
Tiger was "clean installed" on a G4. When I decided to add OS9, I went through the "Clean Installation" procedure to install the default version of OS9.1. Back in OSX, when I try to start OS9 with the control panel or launching a Classic app, the system never loads. It pauses on "Welcome to Mac 9.1" the bouncing stops after a while. Finally it seems to just give up -- I've never seen it actually stop trying to load so I don't know if a message is displayed.

I don't beleive it's a memory issue as the machine has 704 Megs RAM.

Any ideas?

Karl

but how do you update to 9.2 if the update installer needs to run in classic, and classic won't run because it is only 9.1?

If OS 9 is properly installed, you might be able to boot from it via Startup Disk and update that way.

I was having the same problems. I couldn't start OS9 Classic using Tiger... even though I had version 9.2 installed. At first I thought I had the wrong version installed or something... then I found this advice on the apple support pages:

Check for a DivX plug-in
If Mac OS 9.2.2 is installed but the issue still occurs, look for a DivX plug-in located in /Library/QuickTime. If it's there, remove the "DivXNetworks" folder from /Library/Application Support.

I tried this and it worked. OS 9.2 classic starts up fine now. Whew! Hope this helps anybody who've encountered the same situation.

I installed OS9.2.2 on a G3 then simply dragged the entire System Folder across to my newer Mac running OSX.

Back