clean install vs archive

Mike Adams

Registered
Does anyone have compelling reasons to pick one or the other option when upgrading from 10.2.8 to 10.3? I am getting conflicting advice from our local 'experts'.

many thanks

Mike Adams said:
Does anyone have compelling reasons to pick one or the other option when upgrading from 10.2.8 to 10.3? I am getting conflicting advice from our local 'experts'.

many thanks

You should be safe with either Archive And Install or Clean Install. I would NOT recommend you do an upgrade. I have had various stability issues with machines that I upgraded. Which is my own fault, you should, generally, never upgrade an OS from revision to revisions. Doesn't work under Windows, doesn't work under OS X. Your best bet is ALWAYS to do a clean install.

jjh

Archive and install and Clean install are essentially the same, except that Archive and install does not erase your hard drive, moves the old system to an archive folder (where you can access parts of it if you so wish), and allows you the option of importing your exsisting users and settings. Both options, however, will install a totally new and clen OS (except for the users and settings, if you chose to import them).

The upgrade, while in theory works, the actual install does not get rid of all the files that are being replaced. More headaches than it is worth.

Do an Archive and Preserve. Your app folder and home folder will remain untouched. The Previous system folder is there for you to move over any third party files. Be aware that those programs that install files in the system or system library should be re-installed. Anti Virus and Stuffit Expander are two that are better off being installed. Application Support folder and individual fonts can be moved to the new system folder.

And when you are done, run Disk Utility to repair permissions.

Everyone said it basically, I'd go with Cheryl's suggestion as it's completely congruent with mine.

Don't try upgrade...you'll be left with many headaches.

Back