Configuring Services on 10.2.8

jerodhusvar

Registered
First post here, and I think it's a doozey.

I have been tasked with configuring what services should be running at start-up on a group of G4's running 10.2.8. I have turned off Apache, AppleShare, AppleTalk, NFS, Samba and Sendmail.

What other services might you consider turning off, and why? I am considering turning off SSH and LDAP, but I'm still on the fence.

Any help would be appreciated!

jjh

You can turn off LDAP if the system is not using LDAP services. As for SSH, you can choose to turn it off, if you don't intend to allow users ssh access, but it will mean you won't be able to access a user's machine via SSH. If you don't usually do this anyway, then it should be OK to turn this off. You might also want to turn off CUPS if you don't use network printing.
There's a really easy way to see what services are potentially available: from /Applications/Utilities/Network Utility run a port scan on the machine. Any ports that are open will be listed by port number. Lookup this port number in /etc/services to see what its used for (the grep command is an easy way to do this).

Back