Connecting a PB(10.4.1) to a Windows server 2003

Narayanan

Registered
Greetings!

I have just bought a 12" PB for my office, which has a 25+PC with Windows 2003 server. And signed up at this forum yesterday.

For my Network Administrator, Apple and OSX is Greek & Latin. Hence I started setting it up myself. I was able to connect to the server (I think so, pls read on to know more).
My PC is able to see the files in the Mac. Using Mac, I can browse the net through the server.

However, I am not able to access other PCs in the network. I see them as Alias. Trying to open and it shows a pop-up window asking for 'SMB/CIFS File System Authentication'
Question 1 - At this stage should I give my windows domain user id and passwd or Mac user ID?

I tried both options. But the result is a message "The alias 'name' could not be opened, becuase the original item cannot be found".
Question 2 - What steps need to be taken so that my PB becomes another member in the network just like other PCs.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

I connect to windows machine here at work by clicking [apple]+[k], the typing smb://windowsmachineip
you should then be asked username and password (of the pc side), and then the volume to mount...

Hi,

I have had the same problem for a couple of years.

This morning I have finally connected to the windows server, I cannot guarantee this will work for everyone but try leaving the 'Workgroup/Domain' blank and use your Windows Server username and password.

Good luck

Back