Creating a bootable Mac OS 9 CD?

msagal

Registered
Does anyone know how to create a bootable Mac OS 9 CD (I lent mine out). I have an original flat-panel iMac running 10.2.6. I copied my existing Mac OS 9 System folder to a cd and tried to boot from that but it wouldn't work. It tried and you could hear the cd spinning for maybe 30 seconds or so but then it eventually gave up and booted into X.

Any ideas?

What program did you use to create the CD? Toast or Apple's Burn Disk?

If you burned it in OS X, you need Carbon Copy Cloner. It will make sure all the files, even the invisible ones get placed on the CD.

If you use Toast, Select the Data format. Make sure the folder you are copying is a blessed folder - that is with the Mac face on the folder.

To make a bootable OS 9 CD, boot into 9 and launch Toast (either version). Select Mac OS CD or Mac OS CD & PC Hybrid from the menu; you can't make a boot disc with HFS+. Then drag your System Folder into the CD, and organize it however you need it (if it's too big, greater than 650 or 700 MB depending on your media, start eliminating files that you don't need for this boot disc. Start with the Preferences folder: eliminate any and all preference files for programs not on the CD.) Name it what you like, and burn it. Then test it.

Your iMac can boot into 9, right? If not, then you're out of luck.

Back