Damaged Resource Fork

Philip83

Registered
My 200GB HD crashed a few days ago and no app seemed to be able to fix it. However, Discwarrior managed to bring the stuff it could rescue to the desktop for me to backup. THe thing i cared for most was a 50GB video project that I was to finish the next day after 4 months of work. I copied over the whole folder to my other new 200GB. But after copying all the files, all of them turned out to have damaged rescource forks. Every video file i open is flickering on both sound and picture.
I would give a leg or an arm to fix this HD. Is there anything I can do? send it somewhere maybe? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Philip83 said:
My 200GB HD crashed a few days ago and no app seemed to be able to fix it. However, Discwarrior managed to bring the stuff it could rescue to the desktop for me to backup. THe thing i cared for most was a 50GB video project that I was to finish the next day after 4 months of work. I copied over the whole folder to my other new 200GB. But after copying all the files, all of them turned out to have damaged rescource forks. Every video file i open is flickering on both sound and picture.
I would give a leg or an arm to fix this HD. Is there anything I can do? send it somewhere maybe? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Maybe this option is a solution? It is costly, though.

If you are using OS X - any variant it is only secondarily dependent on the resource fork for any information about a given file. The primary dependence is placed on the three character file name extension that is common Unix and Windows practice. In fact in OS X the resource fork is contained in a separate file with the same file name as the original file with the characters "._" prepended. (The first character "." of course makes the resource fork invisible.)

The fact that the resource fork of every one of the files in your video project are "damaged" and not the much larger, and therefore more likely to be damage, data files themselves, stretches credulity. especially since DiskWarrior 3 is well aware of the resource fork naming convention. All of this leads me to believe there is something else wrong on your system to cause the flickering sound and video. In fact, I recall having seen posts on the Apple forums about similar problems where no drive crash or damaged resource forks were involved at all. You did not say what software you are using to create the videos but if it is iMovie, Final Cut Pro, or Final Cut Express you might check the appropriate Apple Forum.

I have seen similar reports of sound and video "flickering" involving commercially recorded DVDs. I just wish I had paid closer attention to them so I could be more helpful.
:(

Back