Dead iBook, need to copy files to new MacBook

mmace

Registered
Hi guys, 1st post, please go easy on me!

1st off, I'm a windows users and I'm trying to help my wife so please forgive me if I don't understand everything!

My wifes iBook G4 died last night (it was a long, slow death!), so I have just ordered her a MacBook.
I've opened up her iBook and got the HDD out and I have a USB enclosure for it (there was nothing wrong with the HDD, just the display, logic board and battery). I could only just afford the macbook so can't really afford anything else (someone's suggesting a firewire enclosure for the HDD but I reall cannot afford ANYTHING at the moment).

I am wanting to know if it's possible to recue some things from the HDD, and if so, where on the HDD will they be?

I'm hoping to save:
Emails
Address Book
Photos (and if possible the folders they were in within iPhoto)
her music (again, if possible her playlists)
Her calendar (lots of important dates in there!)

hope you guys can help, and thank you in advance for any help or suggestions

Mmace,

Some of these are easy and others are a little harder...

Emails - Copy the /Users/<username>/Library/Mail/ folder over

Address Book - I don't know this one.

Photos (and if possible the folders they were in within iPhoto) - Photos can be found under Pictures -> iPhoto Library -> Originals

her music (again, if possible her playlists) - Music is found under Music -> iTunes. Copy the whole folder over. (You need all the library files to keep your playlists, album art, etc.)

Her calendar (lots of important dates in there!) - I don't know this one either

In the future you should start backing this stuff up regularly, even to CD's. If her drive ever goes bad, you'll have nowhere to turn if you don't.

Don't forget the /Users/USERSHORTNAME/Library/Preferences folder. In there, there are some settings definitely needed for playlists and the like. Also, there are "Application Support" folders you might check for contents.

In the future you should start backing this stuff up regularly, even to CD's. If her drive ever goes bad, you'll have nowhere to turn if you don't.
I got her a maxtor onetouch a while ago that she backs up onto, but she'd not done it for a couple of weeks (so that's about 100 photos and 10+ albums as well as all her emails that wouldn't have been backed up)

Back