Dead Pixels

Krisneph

Registered
Are dead pixels Manufacturing defects or can u just get them over time
I hope not because I just the New iMac I haven't noticed anything but i'm worried !!!!

Sometimes they can come after you've had the LCD for a while. Usually, they're there from the start. It's possible to rub them away a lot of times, but sometimes they're just totally DOA.

If you don't have any now, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Very, oh very softly rub with a cloth. (I do stress VERY softly). In a circular motion.

Another technique I've heard work is to tap the back of the screen around the area of the offending pixel (this can be done on a Powerbook and iBook, but I don't know about the new iMac).

I had a dead pixel on my new Powerbook last year, thankfully it was over where the Hard disk icons were placed. Apple's and every other manufacturers line is... 'they are within specification'. Which means, 'nuttin ta do wit us my friend!'!! Apparently within specification can be a very drastic amount (something like 20 per sq inch), I don't know whether this is true or not!

Originally posted by uoba
Apparently within specification can be a very drastic amount (something like 20 per sq inch), I don't know whether this is true or not!
I thought that the maximum Apple allows before they will fix it (i.e. replace the screen) was 10 dead pixels on the whole screen.

I must admit, as bad as it sounds, if I had 5 dead pixles, and apple said I needed 10... hmm... I think I'd bust it open and add a few more to the dead pixle count :p

Originally posted by sheepguy42

I thought that the maximum Apple allows before they will fix it (i.e. replace the screen) was 10 dead pixels on the whole screen.

When I was working in OZ Apple Centre when i asked an Apple Engineer at Apple HQ, he said 6 pixels. I think that's really crappy though.

I'd only buy one if i had it started up in front of me so i can check it first.

Back