Desktop XP share net con with iBook?

Zimbop

Registered
I´m on holiday for a few days visiting my dad and I have my ibook with me. The ibook has airport (standard) in it. My dad has a windows XP desktop machine connected to the internet via a USB ADSL modem. I´d like to access the net through his machine.

Down at the local PC shop they have PCI wireless cards (linksys or something) for about 50 euro and the full blown wireless routers for about 129 euro. Is it possible for me to buy the cheaper PCI card and configure XP to allow me to connect through it using a WEP wireless connection or something?

All help appreciated!

Zim

I would recommend a dedicated router in managing multiple Internet connections. -Sounds and looks problematic relying on XP to handle your single internet connection. -Not to say it can't be done.

With that being said, it sounds like a good project to do. Here... Check out this MS ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) site [link: http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/index.asp ]. Once you read all the mombo-jumbo, click on the ICS Install Guide: it'll take you through configuring XP to do ICS. Keep clicking on the Next>>Windows 2000/XP to advance to the next set of instructions and guide. As you go through it, you'll notice a Mac ICS client configuration. -But it ain't much. I'm sure it's a piece of cake.

Good luck!... Sounds like a fun project. I'm gonna try it too.

hastaLavista!

Back