Disk utilities / antivirus

colinr

Registered
Are things like Norton Utilities / Antivirus worth investing in for OS X (10.2)?

I have never seen a Mac virus in the 4 years I have worked on one (OS 8.5 and onwards) so I'm not overly concerned about it but wondered if it might be worth it with X as Macs seem to be getting a bit more popular and therefore target-worthy.

As for disk utilities, the ol' OS 9 always liked Nortons and/or Diskwarrior now and again to keep it shipshape but is it a worth investment for X? (the upgrade will be around £60 so hardly breaking the bank)

Thanks,
Colin

Dear All,

Your right, in the six years that I have used a Mac, I have never had a virus. (Apart from Word Macro viruses, which don't work, but Norton AntiVirus tells me that I've got one)

All I can say is that it's piece of mind. Yes, Norton AnitVirus and Utilities are very good products, I have them. You can buy these software, but look at the alternatives:

Drive 10 from Micromat
The virus software that .Mac is offering.
Disk Warrior

At the end of the day, the decision is yours. How much do you value your data?

I think you've got it with "peace of mind". Norton Systemworks upgrade is about £60 so I think it will be purchased for unerase if nothing else because I'm far more of a threat to my files than any virus.

Cheers
-Colin

Back