Dissapointed with Bluetooth/Palm

Richman67

Registered
Hi all,

I recently got a BT card for my Palm. Works great with my PC (equiped with a D-Link BT thingy). It syncs well with the BT, and internet sharing was a snap to set up under XP.

Anyway, I go to set it up for the Mac (since Apple says BT for Mac is easier), and its a huge hassle. I finally get the BT Hotsync to work, but its very, very slow.

On top if that, internet sharing is a lost cause. You can't just set it up in the sharing panel of systems pref, but rather you have to disable your Hotsync BT port, run a home brew style script, and even then, its much slower than with the PC. When done, you then have to run another script to shut the whole thing down, then re-enable your BT Hotsync port.

I love my mac, but when something is a ton easier on XP than my mac, and works better to boot, it rumples me.

If anyone has any solutions to the above, please let me know...

Thanks,
Richard

What type of pda do you have? Your Mac?
I have a Tungsten T2 and never had any problems as bt is built-in. It syncs fine, allows me to browse (I'm using a Keyspan bluetooth adaptor on my iBook) and surf and it connects just as easily to my bt-enabled Nokia 6600.
That said. Take a gander at brighthand.com. Good forum on pda-issues, even with Mac connectivity.

Randman said:
What type of pda do you have? Your Mac?
I have a Tungsten T2 and never had any problems as bt is built-in. It syncs fine, allows me to browse (I'm using a Keyspan bluetooth adaptor on my iBook) and surf and it connects just as easily to my bt-enabled Nokia 6600.
That said. Take a gander at brighthand.com. Good forum on pda-issues, even with Mac connectivity.

Hi Randy,

How did you set up your iBook for internet sharing with your T2?

Best,
Rich

Richie (sorry, had to add that in as Randy ain't my name. :)

To be honest, I don't remember the actual steps. I only did it a few times since I use my Nokia for mobile web viewing. I followed the steps in some thread on connectivity. I don't remember the exact steps but it was rather painless.
This should be a good starting point/ Do you have a T/2 or 3?

Randman said:
Richie (sorry, had to add that in as Randy ain't my name. :)

To be honest, I don't remember the actual steps. I only did it a few times since I use my Nokia for mobile web viewing. I followed the steps in some thread on connectivity. I don't remember the exact steps but it was rather painless.
This should be a good starting point/ Do you have a T/2 or 3?

Actually, its a M515. I found two ways to do it. One is the method described by Technohappymeal (which has scripts), and the other was with a small program, and one line of Unix code. In either case, you still need to dive in and disable/enable your Hotsync.

I guess my point is that either method is far from seamless, and in both cases the connection is much slower than my PC with the D-Link dongle. I guess I expected more from my mac.

Oh well...

Best,
Rich

Back