dmg file in Mirrors folder

graham_macewen

Registered
I was recently freeing up memory with a bit of housekeeping on my iBook and I did a Spotlight search for old .dmg files. I found one which was in the librabry/mirrors folder called graham.macewen.dmg (this is my .mac user name) and its size is 2gb! Anyone know what it's for and whether I can delete it?

GM

It's used for mirroring your .mac account, i.e. you can save stuff to .mac when you're not connected to the 'net, and .mac will later synch the two. Removing it should probably result only in the recreation of the file, so it wouldn't really help. Might find more information on .Mac or Tiger Help about it, but I'm not sure.

bobw is correct. However, this feature is optional. iDisk synching is enabled in the .mac Preferences pane. Click to the iDisk tab. The second tier handles iDisk synching. You may set it to synch automatically or manually when enabled. If synching is on and you turn it off, the iDisk mirrors disk image file (.dmg) will be moved to your Desktop. If iDisk synching is off and you press Start, the file will be created. The advantage of having it is that it speeds up access to your data on your iDisk. The disadvantage is the it is the same size as your iDisk and may sync at a inconvenient times. It is best on a high-speed connection.

Back