does Ram really raise Macosx 10.2.3 speed?

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
I got an ibook with the old ati rage 8mb graphiccard and 256mb (128-128).
I find macosx quite slow and don't know, if it's a matter of the graphiccard or ram. The G3 600 should do well, but scrolling and task-switching is really slow.
I thought of buying 512mb so I would get to 640mb. Is that a solution? It would cost me around 129Euro and it's quite a lot of money...
Just wanna be sure about it.

tnx!

Sam

It will help, try MemoryStick and see how much of your memory is in use after a normal days use. Then that will let you know if you are using a lot, if so, then memory will help a LITTLE. I know it helped my system a ton. I started with 256 when i first got X, very slow, jumped to 512, still slow since i do a lot of video and multimedia production. Finally i jumped to 960, which is cool till Photoshop gets happy with a few of my HUGE 300 dpi print files.

Adding RAM makes a huge difference. Going from 256 to 1G on my G4/450 was like night and day. Your task switching will increase in speed having more ram, but your scroll and other window manager related things will have less of an increase.

Brian

My suggestions: ram is so darn cheap these days just max your machine out. And then have in mind: an 8MB graphics card will only get you so far.

G

I maxxed out my RAM on this PowerBook to 1Gig and virtually all of it is being used:

PhysMem: 79.0M wired, 353M active, 553M inactive, 985M used, 39.1M free

353MB active when I'm not even doing anything. Any unused memory will be used as a disk cache. The more RAM the better.

Back