dos hdd does not show over mac network

nadprince

Registered
hi dear... i have 1terra dos formatted external connected to imac... when i try to access this external from another imac it does not show on the network... i can see every thing on client imac including the mac formatted 500gb firewire external... i took this 1terra external to one of my friend's place and same story it does not show on the network...

secondly i formatted my 120gb WD pocket hdd as dos and try to see over the mac network but it didn't showed also... the reason i did this cuz i thought may be 1terra is too big to handle but i couldn't even see the 120gb...

kindly suggest me what to do beside re-formatting the hard disk but then i'll be unable to copy files from pc environment...

all the mac's are connected to a router...

thanx...

nadprince

What Macs running what software? I have to ask you this because the answer will vary greatly from one OS X version to another.

hi dear... i have 1terra dos formatted external connected to imac... when i try to access this external from another imac it does not show on the network... i can see every thing on client imac including the mac formatted 500gb firewire external... i took this 1terra external to one of my friend's place and same story it does not show on the network...

secondly i formatted my 120gb WD pocket hdd as dos and try to see over the mac network but it didn't showed also... the reason i did this cuz i thought may be 1terra is too big to handle but i couldn't even see the 120gb...

kindly suggest me what to do beside re-formatting the hard disk but then i'll be unable to copy files from pc environment...

all the mac's are connected to a router...

thanx...

nadprince

If I remember correctly, your hard drive must be formatted in HFS+ format (Mac-friendly format) in order to share it over the network.

If you format the drive as HFS+ and leave it connected to the iMac, then your can simply connect over the network from the PC and copy to/from the drive.

If you have a valid network setup, then you shouldn't need to disconnect the drive from the Mac and connect it to a PC to copy stuff to/from it -- you should be able to share the drive from the Mac, then connect over the network from the PC to access the data on the drive.

Back